Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Auto Steering.... is it just me??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I tried using this feature on numerous types of roads and highways for a couple of months, but gave up and now I never use it. This car has such effortless steering as it is, that for me anyway, it took more effort to keep from getting kicked off than it took to JUST DRIVE THE CAR! The 2 options seem to be, wait for it to tell you to apply slight force (chinese water torture and a continuous distraction) or, continuously hold the wheel and keep applying slight pressure opposite to what the wheel is doing (but not too much or it kicks you off). Also, I had the occasional weird thing that would confuse it when I didn't see a reason why. All in all, for me it's just not worth the effort. I hope that as the FSD comes closer to perfection that one of the by products will be an improvement of this feature (AND THAT PHANTOM BREAKING IS FIXED!)

I've always felt that way about Autosteer, since its early days in AP1 and then AP2. It was really awful then, not smooth at all, and really bad at following the lane in the "real world" where markings aren't great, barriers are right next to you, etc. Felt dangerous and way more stressful to watch over it + nudge the steering wheel repeatedly than to just steer the car myself.

However...it's gotten much better since those early days, at least on AP2.5 Model S loaners and my new HW3 Model 3. Now Autosteer so good that I actually find myself not minding it, and occasionally wanting to use it when I'm knowingly distracting myself in ways that I probably shouldn't - fiddling with music streaming from the phone, eating takeout while driving, etc. If I'm paying attention and reasonably focused like I should be though, yeah I still prefer to steer the car myself. Autosteer doesn't do anything to reduce my stress or pain from long highway drives besides covering me for distracted periods.

TACC is another story. Holding the accelerator for long periods on the highway is physically painful to me. I love using CC for long highway stints when I can, and ACC / TACC means I can use it much more often. VO TACC is annoyingly bad compared to AP1 and AP2.x TACC, or compared to the ACC in many competitors now, but it's still useful and good enough that I can use it far more than I could basic CC.

I've always felt that way about Autosteer, since its early days in AP1 and then AP2. It was really awful then, not smooth at all, and really bad at following the lane in the "real world" where markings aren't great, barriers are right next to you, etc. Felt dangerous and way more stressful to watch over it + nudge the steering wheel repeatedly than to just steer the car myself.

However...it's gotten much better since those early days, at least on AP2.5 Model S loaners and my new HW3 Model 3. Now Autosteer so good that I actually find myself not minding it, and occasionally wanting to use it when I'm knowingly distracting myself in ways that I probably shouldn't - fiddling with music streaming from the phone, eating takeout while driving, etc. If I'm paying attention and reasonably focused like I should be though, yeah I still prefer to steer the car myself. Autosteer doesn't do anything to reduce my stress or pain from long highway drives besides covering me for distracted periods.

TACC is another story. Holding the accelerator for long periods on the highway is physically painful to me. I love using CC for long highway stints when I can, and ACC / TACC means I can use it much more often. VO TACC is annoyingly bad compared to AP1 and AP2.x TACC, or compared to the ACC in many competitors now, but it's still useful and good enough that I can use it far more than I could basic CC.
I totally agree about the TACC...use it all the time and love it (except the random, phantom heavy breaking...)

I haven't had any problem applying slight pressure to keep it engaged. For me it's just about the weight of my hand resting on the wheel. You don't have to oppose what it's doing. If it's turning to the right and you have your right hand resting on the wheel that's fine. The car just wants to know you're there.

The phantom breaking is a pain in the ass. We say the car is afraid of its own shadow. For this reason I tend to only use it when there is minimal traffic around, and typically only on the interstate. I occasionally try it in other areas and eventually turn it off and drive myself.

Reactions: SalisburySam
I do feel like applying pressure for Autosteer in my Model 3 is more natural and less intrusive than I remember from Model S loaners. Maybe the detection is more sensitive, or maybe the 3's quicker steering ratio or heavier steering weight somehow help. Like it takes less input to induce detectable steering movement.

It took me a few days to get used to it, but now I find it a godsend on the freeway, and use it probably 99% of the time on freeway trips. I like that it keeps me engaged by asking me to touch the wheel periodically, and of course resting my hand on the bottom part of the wheel eliminates the need to even do that. I find I’m much more rested after arrival, and hate long drives in rental cars that don’t have it.

• Disagree
Reactions: zorrobyte
I like auto steer on the interstate. Very seldom do I have a problem with phantom braking. I can relax drink my tea on morning drive to work. Sing a song when the good ones come on in tidal. Do a little white dance in the driver's seat while the car takes care of business. But on two lane roads it's a totally different experience. Whenever a Simi heads my way I know the car will act up so I press the pedal to override the terrified M3LR and everything is fine. Driving in total darkness is a bad experience and the poor car tries its best but all in all I do enjoy autosteer.