Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

On the highway, don't do this when "keeping hands on the wheel"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't do a lot of interstate highway driving but when I do I almost always use self steering. And , of course on occasion, I sometimes forget to keep the slight turning pressure on the steering wheel. Then I am warned and return my turning pressure which sometimes is too much and Tesla kicks me our of self steering because I have over compensated for my lack of attention. At lower speeds this does not matter much, BUT at 75 mph or more this can create a disaster... a sudden swerve to one side followed by quick over compensation to the other! I suspect this is even more dangerous if you steering setting is set to "sport" rather than "normal" or "mellow". No real disasters yet, but good to be forewarned and aware. Or maybe it's just me? ;)

Reactions: gt2690b
I posted up here somewhere where I think the nag got me where I used to much pressure and the car was no longer on A/P. It was however still on cruse. Anyway not paying perfect attention I did hit a curb when the road was in a curve. Since then, I don't use Joe mode so to ensure I hear when the vehicle is out of A/P.

You can just scroll the volume up and down and it counts.
I could be wrong, but my perception is that this only satisfies the nag for a minute or so. While wiggling the wheel lasts a bit longer.

The OP just needs to learn how to calibrate their input to what Tesla’s silly torque sensor requires. It does not take much and often just wants torque in the other direction. Just a little wiggle just up to the point of resistance.

Torquing the wheel or playing with volume seems to have the same effect for me, the nag comes back "soon" after without any discernable difference between both. I sometimes use my knee to move the wheel :) As you say, it doesn't require much.

I don't quite understand people getting kicked out though. There are alerts before, you must really not be paying attention... The screen flickers blue which should be enough to get your attention if you're looking towards the front. After that there's a noise, a message, some red on screen. There are multiple stages before disengaging... Note that the blue stage seems skipped when it's the camera that thinks you're not looking in front, it jumps to panic mode quicker. If that's your case, remember that you should still be driving with Tesla's autopilot or fsd, it's not autonomous.

I don't do a lot of interstate highway driving but when I do I almost always use self steering. And , of course on occasion, I sometimes forget to keep the slight turning pressure on the steering wheel. Then I am warned and return my turning pressure which sometimes is too much and Tesla kicks me our of self steering because I have over compensated for my lack of attention. At lower speeds this does not matter much, BUT at 75 mph or more this can create a disaster... a sudden swerve to one side followed by quick over compensation to the other! I suspect this is even more dangerous if you steering setting is set to "sport" rather than "normal" or "mellow". No real disasters yet, but good to be forewarned and aware. Or maybe it's just me? ;)
you need fine control, and not coarse. If not, better not use it.

There are alerts before, you must really not be paying attention... The screen flickers blue which should be enough to get your attention if you're looking towards the front. After that there's a noise, a message, some red on screen. There are multiple stages before disengaging...
That's how it's designed and supposed to happen. And it does do so MOST of the time. I've had 2 recent occasions of going straight to strike without warning on a recent 900-mile jaunt while on the Interstate. And other occasions where it goes immediately to the red notice but you have a second to respond. It really feels like hardware lag (HW3). Note that's also on a legacy MS so no interior camera and only 3 strikes - not sure if that's related or not. Very likely could be - we've been long abandoned in many respects.

• Informative
Reactions: JB47394