Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autocross- SCCA EV-X Class vs. SS

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was curious to see where I lost time on each course, so I made these 2 videos comparing my run and Gearcrunchers. I'm on the left, GC is on the right.

I think it's important for people to know 2 things about running in Lincoln.
1st,... we ran east course first, and west course on the 2nd day.
2nd.... there was sooo much grip. I've never ran on concrete, nor experienced that much grip before. I readily admit I wasn't able to adapt to it fast enough. It wasn't till my second day that I feel I was able to push the car to its limits.

East course.... I finished 1.4sec behind GC

West course.... I finished 0.5sec behind GC.

I think it's important for people to know 2 things about running in Lincoln.
1st,... we ran east course first, and west course on the 2nd day.
2nd.... there was sooo much grip. I've never ran on concrete, nor experienced that much grip before. I readily admit I wasn't able to adapt to it fast enough. It wasn't till my second day that I feel I was able to push the car to its limits.
I usually run on concrete that can yield up to ~1.4g's in some turns. Here I saw 1.5-1.7 due to massive amounts of rubber laid in the prior 2-3 days.
I think one should be doing more tour events on concrete to be able to adapt/utilize the extra grip in just 3 runs.

Thanks for posting those. I appreciate it. You all are definitely closer to a few key cones than I got, unless it's just the aspect ratio messing up my perception. GC also noticeably tighter around some of those sweepers where I tried to "miata loop" them lol.

My local region started making their "Pro Class" count only your first 3 runs. The intent is good to get ready for a tour event, but I think it takes the fun out of afternoon runs.

I usually run on concrete that can yield up to ~1.4g's in some turns. Here I saw 1.5-1.7 due to massive amounts of rubber laid in the prior 2-3 days.
I think one should be doing more tour events on concrete to be able to adapt/utilize the extra grip in just 3 runs.
I think at least Crows tour and Lincoln tour will be in order if I end up doing Nats again next year. Crows is even gripper concrete from what I've been told.
Thanks for posting those. I appreciate it. You all are definitely closer to a few key cones than I got, unless it's just the aspect ratio messing up my perception. GC also noticeably tighter around some of those sweepers where I tried to "miata loop" them lol.

My local region started making their "Pro Class" count only your first 3 runs. The intent is good to get ready for a tour event, but I think it takes the fun out of afternoon runs.
I thought only counting first 3 runs is the norm for all regions. If not, that could theoretically have implications on PAX depending on what exactly Rick looks at.

Woah 🤯 yeah usually 7-10 runs all events I’ve done in Iowa, Wisconsin, Illinois
We are usually 5-6 runs, but only the first 3 count as competition. Anything beyond that are just fun runs.
We typically have between 75-100 people at our bigger Packwood events. We start at 9, get done at 1ish. Then on Sat. starting at 3, for an extra $20 we have a TnT available where you work 1hr and run 1hr. As many runs as you want during your hour.

There's organizations other than SCCA that autox with different rules. Porsche club, for example, all runs count as competition. I did 7 runs with them.

Yeah, scoring on 3 runs is not normal around here. But at our larger site we routinely get 200 people and only 4 runs anyway.
That's interesting. I may need to bring that up to the regions I run with. Cause that does ultimately mess with PAX some.
This is what our timing looks like since only the first 3 runs count. Otherwise as in my case I would have finished a place or two higher.
This is a ProPAX class only placing by PAX times.
Screenshot_20230912_202347_Chrome.jpg

That's interesting. I may need to bring that up to the regions I run with. Cause that does ultimately mess with PAX some.
This is what our timing looks like since only the first 3 runs count. Otherwise as in my case I would have finished a place or two higher.
This is a ProPAX class only placing by PAX times.
One club I ran with a decade+ ago in another state, which routinely got 6 runs/day, used to score morning and afternoon runs separately for the pro index class and then average the times.

GC also noticeably tighter around some of those sweepers where I tried to "miata loop" them lol.
First rule of Autocross: Shortest path wins.
I've played with many lines over my life, and especially in the Tesla, I can never make extra speed make up for a shorter route. We have so much low speed acceleration and grip that loss of speed is recoverable.

I get trying to be prepared for national events, but most drivers will never make that kind of commitment. The scca is great for many reasons, but local events should still try to maximize the element of fun and time on course. 3 runs that "count" at a local event seems too far for the majority of the locals. I have been to plenty of club events where the few top dogs focused on pax, nationals style courses and 3 runs create a barrier for new participants and enjoyment of the day. It could just be me, but I just want to drive my car hard, get as many runs as possible and have a good time with friends. Maybe if I had the money, time and a GT3 allocation I would have a different perspective. All that said, I did pay attention to the results at nationals and am super impressed with how well all of you did! Congratulations on showcasing this awesome platform with the best of the best!

I get trying to be prepared for national events, but most drivers will never make that kind of commitment. The scca is great for many reasons, but local events should still try to maximize the element of fun and time on course. 3 runs that "count" at a local event seems too far for the majority of the locals. I have been to plenty of club events where the few top dogs focused on pax, nationals style courses and 3 runs create a barrier for new participants and enjoyment of the day. It could just be me, but I just want to drive my car hard, get as many runs as possible and have a good time with friends. Maybe if I had the money, time and a GT3 allocation I would have a different perspective. All that said, I did pay attention to the results at nationals and am super impressed with how well all of you did! Congratulations on showcasing this awesome platform with the best of the best!
This. Our local SCCA region has become very focused on national events and building courses to practice elements they would see at national events etc. It seems like they have lost focus on running fun local events first

Reactions: DrZoidberg