Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Automatic door slamming open?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
hi,

I have a 2016 p90 mX and had a weird incident happen today when I opened my driver door in a parking lot. It was mildly windy and when I opened the door via the usual latch and instead of it detecting the car next to us and stopping the the door flung open fully into the other car. It wasn’t as of the wind ‘pushed’ the door further but instead seemed to open with the full force of the motor system. It was enough to put a small dent in other car. Has this ever happened to others? This is the first time in 3 months of ownership it happened to me, although my wife swears it happens more often when she is driving alone. Is there any way to prevent or address this?

I have found the power mechanism is not particularly strong. I have had the door not close under it's own power if on a slope or if the wind catches it, and I have also found it will swing wide (as you have described) under similar conditions. If the car is level and flat, and there is no wind, it seems to work well.

BTW, door dings are one of my biggest pet peeves. I hope you left a note on the car you damaged.