Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autonomous NY to LA trip will be in a Model 3 [Speculation]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah, I don't think it will be demonstrated with a 3 either.

Remember, the S and X will remain Tesla's premium vehicles, and will therefore receive new features & updates first. Demonstrating autonomous technology in the S/X means that those models continue to sell well. And that's where Tesla makes the most margin.

Besides, Musk will want a large party to introduce the final production Model 3, much like the first reveal.

I'm not sure if it makes a difference, but Model 3 is a different car than Model S, which means Autopilot will have to be programmed slightly differently. The S will have much more real-world data and likely be the more capable autonomous vehicle at that point compared to the 3, meaning it would make more sense to demo a fully autonomous drive using the vehicle they're most comfortable with (could be X too).

Then again, that may be entirely insignificant since we're literally talking inches in physical size difference.

What a chance to also promote a super-range Model S! It's not dead just yet. Nearly double the range of the original 85.

Tesla can optimize the SC network (if not already) to make it a really quick run. Skipping superchargers may hardly cost time once the chargers are upgraded a bit, and a the car has a huge battery to take on some 70kWh in half an hours, real world. Of course Snakes would need to be installed on the route.
It may not NEED to stop often, but it would be nice to offer many people a chance to ride along for a stint.

Why would a billionaire do that? Divorce or not.
Why would any man in his right mind do that? :) I love my family and we have done some NY to Florida trips.........not fun! :(

The better question is how did Elon find the time to do that while being CEO of two other companies? Billionaire or not, road trips can be fun. I love taking them with my family, and would have no problem at all going cross country with my wife and kids. I'd leave all my billions in the bank, of course. ;)