Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Infamous front creaking sound from front suspension area

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just got the creaking sound on my 2019 tesla model 3 15k miles - sounds exactly as everyone else reported and easily reproducible when I push down and up around the tire area.

Unfortunately, warranty just expired a few months ago so its in the SC now - Technician confirmed the noise is coming from the FUCAs but is also recommending changing lateral links due to wear on bushings.

The price difference is so high, so thought I would ask here - has anyone had this experience before. Should I just go with the recomendation?

I am thinking of just doing the FUCAs for now

Price of just both FUCA replacements + tire rotation: $453

Price of both FUCAs + both lateral links and lower link assembly + wheel alignment: $2179

Heading on a road trip in a week so any opinions would be awesome!

I had my M3P's upper control arms replaced at 75,000 miles and the Service Center did the replacement at no cost to me (Goodwill). They did not mention anything about replacing the lateral or lower links. The car has been quiet since then with no issues that I'm aware of. By the way, I didn't throw a fit or anything at the Service Center when I took the car in for the creaking upper control arms. I just politely mentioned that the car was exhibiting noise characteristic of the known upper control arm issue (similar to my initial service request made on-line), and they never asked me to pay anything. I've been pretty pleased with the support I've received from the local Service Centers (both Lynnwood, WA and Bellevue, WA). I used to take the care to the Bellevue location until they opened up in Lynnwood.

One of my upper control arms was replaced under warranty back in October 2021 on my 2019 Model 3 LR I purchased in March 2019. I now have 47k miles on it and it's out of warranty.

It started squeaking again a couple of months back after the warranty had already expired. Now they are telling me both lateral links and both lower control arms (compliance links). That was from a diagnostic that they charged me and I agreed to.

The labor rate at the Delray Beach Service Center is $305 per labor hour now. Here's me thinking that normally if you don't do the work discovered, you pay a diagnostic fee and if you have the service performed, it's included with the repairs. That's what has happened when I've brought a car into Hyundai, BMW, etc. The normal way I've always done business with my computer ship.

Now they want $1900 to replace those parts. 2 hours of labor, one for diagnostic and one for repairs, plus the cost of parts. Am I being ridiculous to think Tesla is gouging me on this?

One other thing, there were 2 safety recalls for the lower links not being tightened properly for the same model year. I checked the VIN of my car and neither one came up as a listed vehicle that falls into this. I may write NHTSA to complain that my car should have been included since it was manufactured in early 2019 like the rest that were recalled and likely had the same issue.