Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD 12.3 supervised not always following navigation directions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone else noticed that sometimes navigating to a location, nav will tell you take a turn, but FSD does not follow it?

I noticed this a few times on 12.3.3, whereas previously it never did that. Particularly, I’ve noticed it with forks in the road.

Someone had posted here something similar, but it turned out they were on autopilot, not FSD. Not in my case, I double checked and it is on FSD, also it only happens occasionally.

I have been reporting it when it does happen.

When the car fails to take a turn, does the visual route and voice guidance show that turn? I haven’t had that happen yet in FSD 12.3, but previous versions have failed to take a turn that was indicated in the navigation. I think in those cases the car failed to change lanes in time. I’ve also had one incident in FSD v11 where the car tried to take a turn that wasn’t on the route. In general, I’m finding 12.3 to be much more reliable than 11.x.

Reactions: terraform
I suspect the end-to-end model can effectively do some of its own localized navigation, so it might not follow the onscreen navigation exactly. OpenPilot's end-to-end model works this way, they render a map with a desired driving route highlighted and the model uses that to figure out where to take turns and choose lanes. But how Tesla's model handles navigation is anyone's guess unless they decide to tell us.

Left is the raw map, and right is after it's compressed through the neural network.

map_reconstruction.mp4

I suspect the end-to-end model can effectively do some of its own localized navigation, so it might not follow the onscreen navigation exactly. OpenPilot's end-to-end model works this way, they render a map with a desired driving route highlighted and the model uses that to figure out where to take turns and choose lanes. But how Tesla's model handles navigation is anyone's guess unless they decide to tell us.

Left is the raw map, and right is after it's compressed through the neural network.

map_reconstruction.mp4
Interesting theory, however I don’t think that’s what was happening in this latest instance: by not taking that fork, I would have had added about 15 minutes to my trip and have to make a U-turn to go back and make it.

My thinking is probably that for some reason the GPS thought I was already in the correct lane. However, the screen showed that I was in the lane that I was actually in.

Yes, I just experienced this. suppose to turn left on 1st st in xxx feet, slowed down dramatically, somehow didn't turn but quickly (seems to be a tremendous improvement) changed its mind to to make the turn down the road... In previous release, I also have a particular exit on highway that it is supposed to exit but missed it many times, nothing is blocking it.

I have taken several trips on Interstates using FSD v. 12.3.x and there is now a dramatic problem with it taking the proper exits off the Interstate, and these are simple, well-marked distinct exits. The navigation map shows the proper exit but the car does not even begin to make the exit. The pre-AI FSD handled it all very nicely, but not the AI in version 12.3.x.