Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot and Crashing questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When autopilot avoids an accident, does it just take over? Will the wheel not be in my control? Or will it be something I wrestle with or just basically trust and let happen?

I'd like to have some idea before learning the hard way what it is like when this kinda thing happens.

Also, has anyone crashed s Tesla and know why/what happened?

When autopilot avoids an accident, does it just take over? Will the wheel not be in my control? Or will it be something I wrestle with or just basically trust and let happen?

I'd like to have some idea before learning the hard way what it is like when this kinda thing happens.

Also, has anyone crashed s Tesla and know why/what happened?

That is not how AP works.

When you activate AP, it will control the car. But it will simply follow it's algorithm to follow the lane and follow the car in front of you. Now if the cameras detect a car that you might hit, it might brake or swerve. So yes, there are cases where AP will avoid an accident. But you can't count on it always doing the right thing. Don't assume the cameras will see the object. There are plenty of cases where AP will cause an accident if you are not paying attention. AP is a driver assist meaning that you are still responsible for driving. It is YOUR job to always pay attention to the road. YOU must take over if you think AP will make a mistake.

That is not how AP works.

When you activate AP, it will control the car. But it will simply follow it's algorithm to follow the lane and follow the car in front of you. Now if the cameras detect a car that you might hit, it might brake or swerve. So yes, there are cases where AP will avoid an accident. But you can't count on it always doing the right thing. Don't assume the cameras will see the object. There are plenty of cases where AP will cause an accident if you are not paying attention. AP is a driver assist meaning that you are still responsible for driving. It is YOUR job to always pay attention to the road. YOU must take over if you think AP will make a mistake.
a great explanation. And to add to this... I have seen one case (likely more) where the car was swerving to avoid an accident from another car merging in the rear quarter panel. The driver thought it was a problem and took over to pull back in the lane and actually had an accident (cause was the other driver). So who knows when to take over or when not to :oops:

a great explanation. And to add to this... I have seen one case (likely more) where the car was swerving to avoid an accident from another car merging in the rear quarter panel. The driver thought it was a problem and took over to pull back in the lane and actually had an accident (cause was the other driver). So who knows when to take over or when not to :oops:

I think your example shows some of the inherent limits of driver assist technology. As driver assist systems get better, that line between who is really responsible for driving gets blurry. That's a real problem because you will have situations when the driver took over when they were not supposed to or failed to take over when they were supposed to. This is a big reason why Waymo gave up on deploying an "Autopilot" like driver assist system and focused entirely on true autonomous driving. The idea is to develop a system from the get-go that never requires a driver to take over. If the system never requires the driver to take over, then you side step the whole dilemma of when the driver should take over.

• Informative
Reactions: KrenGrl and Dan D.
I think your example shows some of the inherent limits of driver assist technology. As driver assist systems get better, that line between who is really responsible for driving gets blurry. That's a real problem because you will have situations when the driver took over when they were not supposed to or failed to take over when they were supposed to. This is a big reason why Waymo gave up on deploying an "Autopilot" like driver assist system and focused entirely on true autonomous driving. The idea is to develop a system from the get-go that never requires a driver to take over. If the system never requires the driver to take over, then you side step the whole dilemma of when the driver should take over.
That is the intention of my question, to clear up these blurred lines. I don't want to end up getting in an accident because I fought the assist or the assist fought me.

I don't know when I should trust it to do the right thing and I don't know if or when it will trust me to do the right thing. Because it is programmed to avoid accidents but at what cost? I'm sure it depends and sometimes it won't make the best decision.

I just want a better understanding.

Reactions: Dan D.
That is the intention of my question, to clear up these blurred lines. I don't want to end up getting in an accident because I fought the assist or the assist fought me.

I don't know when I should trust it to do the right thing and I don't know if or when it will trust me to do the right thing. Because it is programmed to avoid accidents but at what cost? I'm sure it depends and sometimes it won't make the best decision.

I just want a better understanding.

We are here to help you.

Do not think of AP as automatically protecting you from accidents. AP is not programmed to avoid accidents per se. AP cannot recognize when an accident is going to happen ahead of time. It is simply programmed to do certain driving tasks. Yes, in some cases, doing those tasks may prevent an accident but that is a coincidence. In other cases, AP may not avoid an accident or may even cause an accident.

Your best bet is to assume you can't trust AP to do the right thing, always pay attention, and be ready to take over when necessary.

This is not an exhaustive list but here are a few tips:

- AP is designed to visually detect lane lines and stay centered in the lane. So if the cameras can see lane lines, AP will do its best to stay centered between the two lines. In most cases, when the lane lines are clearly visible, the car will do a great job of lane keeping. But It might get confused if the lane lines are faded or if there are multiple lane lines like construction zones with new lane lines painted over old lines. Also, the car might "ping pong" when the lane gets wider as it tries to stay in the center of the wider lane. This can happen when passing on ramps.

- AP is designed to detect an object in front of you and maintain a designed distance from the object. In most cases, when just driving behind another vehicle, AP will do a great job of braking and accelerating to avoid a collision. AP can be great in stop and go traffic. Large vehicles like a semi may not be detected by the car from the side as they may be too close for the side camera to identify and ultrasonics may pass under the semi. So be careful of large semis in the adjacent lane if they try to merge in your lane. Also, the car may brake late for cross traffic. For example, a car passing in front of you, will be detected when it is in front of you. The car will brake. But since the car is moving sideways, the car will brake when the car has already passed.

We are here to help you.

Do not think of AP as automatically protecting you from accidents. AP is not programmed to avoid accidents per se. AP cannot recognize when an accident is going to happen ahead of time. It is simply programmed to do certain driving tasks. Yes, in some cases, doing those tasks may prevent an accident but that is a coincidence. In other cases, AP may not avoid an accident or may even cause an accident.

Your best bet is to assume you can't trust AP to do the right thing, always pay attention, and be ready to take over when necessary.

This is not an exhaustive list but here are a few tips:

- AP is designed to visually detect lane lines and stay centered in the lane. So if the cameras can see lane lines, AP will do its best to stay centered between the two lines. In most cases, when the lane lines are clearly visible, the car will do a great job of lane keeping. But It might get confused if the lane lines are faded or if there are multiple lane lines like construction zones with new lane lines painted over old lines. Also, the car might "ping pong" when the lane gets wider as it tries to stay in the center of the wider lane. This can happen when passing on ramps.

- AP is designed to detect an object in front of you and maintain a designed distance from the object. In most cases, when just driving behind another vehicle, AP will do a great job of braking and accelerating to avoid a collision. AP can be great in stop and go traffic. Large vehicles like a semi may not be detected by the car from the side as they may be too close for the side camera to identify and ultrasonics may pass under the semi. So be careful of large semis in the adjacent lane if they try to merge in your lane. Also, the car may brake late for cross traffic. For example, a car passing in front of you, will be detected when it is in front of you. The car will brake. But since the car is moving sideways, the car will brake when the car has already passed.
That's helpful! I've had it respond to things I wish it didn't. That's where I get a little concerned. And it's those decisions that I'm a bit worried might do more harm than good. Like it might swerve to avoid an object I also noticed but the opposite direction than I would have.