Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla wins first US Autopilot trial involving fatal crash

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The problem with that argument in this case is that Autopilot reliability and safety has gone backwards, not forwards since removing radar. Innovation has been slowed due to the removal of radar.
Even assuming your assertion with zero proof is correct, I can assure you every new architecture, re-write, new software I've ever worked on always had more issues than the outgoing one. But noone would think an IBM mainframe code written in Cobol on text terminals would be better today than whatever they have now after 10 rewrites and upgrades.

Reactions: ChooseFreedom
Innovation is creating a new or better solution to a problem. Tesla did neither.
So you don't consider the air and noise pollution of ICE vehicles a problem?
Not to mention the devastation the oil companies have done and continue to do, just for another buck.
What about the overall issues with stealerships? No biggy?

Tesla is an industry disruptor. They are forcing the dinosaur legacy automakers to actually start to innovate again or be left behind.
You may not see the problems because you've either, just accepted them as the norm (maybe you're profiting from them), or you have no idea what the problems actually are.

I'm not a tree hugger, but I know enough science to know that we're killing our planet. And it takes companies willing to go against the grain for any real change to occur. Companies interested in more than just the mighty dollar.
Does it take lithium mining to create the batteries in EV's, sure, for now. There are good strides happening in developing a sodium ion battery. And our planet has an abundance of salt water. So the progress continues toward less harmful innovations.
Fossil fuels were a necessary evil when originally developed for use simply because the tech of the time was limited. But as we evolve, our energy sources need to as well. Otherwise we just ruin the planet for us and go extinct. The planet will still recover and go on. We're not special in nature's eyes.

The sooner people embrace progress, the better off future generations will have it. History has shown it.
Who were the biggest critics of the light bulb? Candlemakers
The printing press? Churches
The telegraph/phone? Paper companies
The TV? radio
The internet? Newspapers/magazines
Bitcoin? The banks/gov
The automobile? The horse industry
I could go on and on... The point is made.

Sometimes, you didn't even know there was a problem, until someone creates the solution.

Even assuming your assertion with zero proof is correct, I can assure you every new architecture, re-write, new software I've ever worked on always had more issues than the outgoing one. But noone would think an IBM mainframe code written in Cobol on text terminals would be better today than whatever they have now after 10 rewrites and upgrades.
I provided a link to an article in a previous post. You could also look it up yourself for data.

Believe what you want. It doesn’t take a genius to see the flaws in a vision-only system.

Probably no surprise if the public never hears about cases TSLA loses.
Really!? Having regard to the well oiled (emphasis on oil) Tesla bashing/ fake news/ groundless misnomer sprouting machine, I would expect quite the reverse. If we are not hearing about too many Tesla losses, just maybe that's because they have not lost too many.
Jeez! " So tell me, when did you stop beating your wife."

Reactions: sleepydoc
Innovation is creating a new or better solution to a problem. Tesla did neither.
FSD Beta is drastically better under Tesla Vision than it was with the radar hybrid previously. Of course you can't necessarily attribute this to removal of radar itself, but then you can't say either there were no improvements and that it played no role.

I provided a link to an article in a previous post.
Business Insider ? No thanks.

You can post the stats here to prove !

You don’t seem to have any concern about the consequences of that decision. People are literally getting hurt because of it.
Yes - like not wearing mask that can kill a million ? Suddeny when it comes to rare accidents, people because overly concerned about lives. But Covid & wars & poverty & Climate Change - who cares !

ps :

The publication cited interviews with dozens of former employees, test drivers, and other experts. After the update in 2021, more Teslas running on Autopilot or Full Self-Driving began stopping for imaginary obstacles, misidentifying street signs, and having difficulties identifying emergency vehicles, the Post reported, citing complaints that were filed with regulators.

LOL. You trust this "data" ?

Last edited:
Reactions: Wattsisname
I've said this many times - AP/FSD Beta will cause accidents, and it will kill people. People need to accept that. The point is that it should cause LESS accidents and kill LESS people than humans do. Last year 42,000 people died in car crashes in the US. If we can save any of those people by using ADAS systems, it's worth it.

The issue is human nature. Why is it more acceptable to us if another human kills a friend or loved one in a car accident vs a computer killing them? We want computer systems to be infallible and cause 0 accidents, but that's not reasonable.
I wonder how many people are killed by having the cruise control on and get lulled to distraction. Eliminate cruise control or pay attention to the warnings/disclaimers?

Reactions: EVNow and sleepydoc
I wonder how many people are killed by having the cruise control on and get lulled to distraction. Eliminate cruise control or pay attention to the warnings/disclaimers?
Wouldn't be surprised at all if there were discussions and bumps in the road when basic cruise control first came out, it would be interesting to look into that history

There are most definitely discussions still happening today about more advanced forms of cruise control, like being able to set the speed above the posted limit:

The people involved are always walking a line between ensuring benefits are realized where they exist but without introducing new risks or transferring bad events from one thing to another. I've driven a couple rental cars with basic lane keeping and personally wouldn't pay a red cent for that because I felt it made me more inclined to take risks.

We don't have those stats, unfortunately. However, NHTSA is going to start acquiring that data in the near future so we can see all L2 crash data (which includes adaptive cruise control + lane keeping).

We don't have those stats, unfortunately. However, NHTSA is going to start acquiring that data in the near future so we can see all L2 crash data (which includes adaptive cruise control + lane keeping).
If they’re interested in L2 data they should include regular cruise control and adaptive cruise control without lane keeping since that would give a better comparison.

The real problem with all of this is that there’s a point where increasing automation paradoxically becomes worse because it’s very good, just not good enough. Autopilot is at or close to that for routine highway driving. If you’re just driving straight on the highway in good weather it’s close to perfect in my experience. I drove 4 ½ hours from Minneapolis to Grand Forks and never had to do a thing other than satisfy the nag-o-tron. The problem is it’s not quite perfect and you get lulled into a sense of security and quit paying attention.

If they’re interested in L2 data they should include regular cruise control and adaptive cruise control without lane keeping since that would give a better comparison.

The real problem with all of this is that there’s a point where increasing automation paradoxically becomes worse because it’s very good, just not good enough. Autopilot is at or close to that for routine highway driving. If you’re just driving straight on the highway in good weather it’s close to perfect in my experience. I drove 4 ½ hours from Minneapolis to Grand Forks and never had to do a thing other than satisfy the nag-o-tron. The problem is it’s not quite perfect and you get lulled into a sense of security and quit paying attention.
Cattle prods installed in the driver seat should take care of that... 😂

There's very little difference in the response to distraction or falling asleep between manual driving and cruise control. In both cases, the car quickly drifts out of its lane or runs into something. If the cruise control is traffic aware, it might not run into a leading car, but will still run off the road or through a red light.

Even if you are driving manually, most cars will simply coast if you stop providing accelerator input and the car's momentum is great enough to keep it moving at speed until it finds something to run into.

Reactions: Dewg
There's very little difference in the response to distraction or falling asleep between manual driving and cruise control. In both cases, the car quickly drifts out of its lane or runs into something. If the cruise control is traffic aware, it might not run into a leading car, but will still run off the road or through a red light.

Even if you are driving manually, most cars will simply coast if you stop providing accelerator input and the car's momentum is great enough to keep it moving at speed until it finds something to run into.
I think it'll be interesting to see the real stats. I think there is more accident data for L2 than people think. Quite a few cars today have basic L2. The question is are they involved in accidents, more likely do to a lack of driver attention.

Newer cars like Teslas also have lane departure warnings which will alarm before you get to the dangerous point but if you don’t have lane departure warning then yeah, it’s no difference with cruise control, probably worse.

I think it'll be interesting to see the real stats. I think there is more accident data for L2 than people think. Quite a few cars today have basic L2. The question is are they involved in accidents, more likely do to a lack of driver attention.
One of the arguments for driver aids is that they reduce driver fatigue. Nominally that should be borne out in the stats, too, but if they increase inattentiveness it gets more murky.

Newer cars like Teslas also have lane departure warnings which will alarm before you get to the dangerous point but if you don’t have lane departure warning then yeah, it’s no difference with cruise control, probably worse.
It would be interesting to know how many people turn off lane departure warnings if they are loud enough to be annoying and are set off by typical lane changing maneuvers without using the turn signals.

It would be interesting to know how many people turn off lane departure warnings if they are loud enough to be annoying and are set off by typical lane changing maneuvers without using the turn signals.
My Tesla is the first car I’ve had with it so I can’t compare but I haven’t found it to be annoying enough to disable. Once in a while it will squawk when it thinks I’m starting a turn too early but it’s generally pretty good.

My son’s Forester has a lane keep assist feature (I think it also has lane departure warning but I can’t be sure.) The lane keep assist feature automatically shuts off when you activate the turn signal. I would assume that lane departure warning systems do the same so assuming you signal appropriately before changing lanes it wouldn’t be an issue.