Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot calibration after alignment

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just got my model 3 AWD last week. It came with the steering wheel misaligned by about 10 degrees. Unfortunately, autopilot calibrated with it like that After an alignment this week, autopilot jerka the car violently to the right when I turn it on It seems to me that it is putting the steering wheel back to what it thinks is straight, which is 10 degrees off

Does anyone know how to force the model 3 to recalibrate? I called service, but they were useless Mobile team is scheduled to come out and fix it (along with my blinker) in about 5 weeks, but I don't want to not have autopilot for that long

Thanks!

I had this issue day after delivery(Jan). It was corrected by SC after calibration. Calibration period was reset.

Who did your alignment? I am assuming not the SC. Would have had the SC look at it before outside work. I understand that may not be possible due to your Ranger service now coming.

Don't think you can force a recalibrate OTA or by yourself. Has to be Ranger (maybe) or SC. Have you reached out to SC to see if sooner than 5 weeks is possible?

Sorry to hear about your issue. I find 5 weeks unacceptable.

Question while in autopilot is the blue steering wheel crooked? Mine was. Initially they said one thing had nothing to do with the other. Steering wheel and calibration. They did a alignment check as well, all came back fine. I said. I got like a 4,000 mile trip back to Michigan. Can you just recalibrate to make me feel better? They complied. There was some talk about a bias to the right early in the year. Haven't heard anything like that lately.

If you don't hear a positive response from the SC regarding the five weeks timeframe I would escalate for executive review under your my tesla page. Trim and paint are one thing, but safety while driving warrants it my opinion.

As much as we may not like it we are all early adopters at the current moment. With that comes a cool factor and some growing pains. I am sure it will get worked out, and thanks for your patience.

Update: I called the SC, got transferred to national customer service. They called the SC, but wouldn't let me talk to them. I was promised a call back, which I never received, to let me know how they would fix it. Possibly over the air.

On the way home last night, I decided to try AutoPilot again, to see if the steering wheel was crooked. It worked fine.
So, I don't know if the car recalibrated itself over time, or if the SC fixed it and just didn't bother telling me.

Still love the car. But, MAN, customer service is awful.

I have confidence that this company will fix that soon, as well.

I got the vehicle delivered today and have the alignment issue, the car pulls to the right on a level road. Its a SR+ M3. The steering wheel looks crooked too. I took it back to the SC and the only tech left who was able to do a calibration reset. But that doesn't seem to have fixed the issue.

I probably will have to do a cold walk-in tomorrow when they open.

Should I try engaging the autopilot to see if the issue corrects itself, I haven't tried to operate it after it calibrated during the drive home.