Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot Choosing Wrong Target Car(s)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The target car issue doesn't have anything to do with the pause for your car to start moving again. It's more of an issue of the car braking unnecessarily.

As for your issue don't wait for the car to start moving on it's own. Press on the accelerator to get moving and then gently let the car take over again.

Thanks. I haven’t followed this closely. Is Tesla aware of this issue, and is it something likely to be fixed?

Otherwise, if I have to press the gas all the time, it’s not really functioning as an autopilot.

The target car changing issue I am sure Tesla is aware of it but even if not, they would see it when dealing with heavy merge scenarios in regards to the FSD programming.

There being a delay before the car starts to move in your situation isn't a flaw, it's just as designed. When it does start to move it does so a little too slowly for my taste as well, but again that isn't a flaw, just as designed.

The target car changing issue I am sure Tesla is aware of it but even if not, they would see it when dealing with heavy merge scenarios in regards to the FSD programming.

There being a delay before the car starts to move in your situation isn't a flaw, it's just as designed. When it does start to move it does so a little too slowly for my taste as well, but again that isn't a flaw, just as designed.

Well why is it designed that way / have they gotten feedback that it renders autopilot pretty useless? Even if it doesn’t matter to some users (because they don’t drive in stop and go traffic, or don’t care if they annoy everyone), does anyone actually LIKE this behavior? (If so, then let it be a user controlled setting.) Is there a safety/engineering/design reason for having it behave this way?

I know it’s a beta, but if you say this is how Tesla wants it to work (so this is how it will work in a full release), it was a waste of $5k for me.

Tesla waits about 10 seconds and 4 car lengths to start moving

There being a delay before the car starts to move in your situation isn't a flaw, it's just as designed.

I have never noticed that behavior in stop and go traffic. Especially not the 10 second delay. 10 seconds is a LOT. Mine seems to go just like a human does - car in front moves, my car moves. No big gaps or delays.

So I am not sure the behavior described is “normal”.

Well why is it designed that way / have they gotten feedback that it renders autopilot pretty useless? Even if it doesn’t matter to some users (because they don’t drive in stop and go traffic, or don’t care if they annoy everyone), does anyone actually LIKE this behavior? (If so, then let it be a user controlled setting.) Is there a safety/engineering/design reason for having it behave this way?

I know it’s a beta, but if you say this is how Tesla wants it to work (so this is how it will work in a full release), it was a waste of $5k for me.

Yes yes, semantics... I never said this is the way Tesla *WANTS* it to work, I just mean to say that is the way it is programmed at this time. That doesn't necessarily mean that they are like yep, that's the way we want it to work so who cares what people think. I think the delay also depends on the TACC distance setting, but I know even at a 1 the acceleration is a bit slow for me.