Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Side collision deceleration warning frustration

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The majority of our main roads are 2-lanes/side dual carriageway with a wide median for cars entering or leaving the road.

Vehicles can turn alongside you from the left (if you're in the outside lane), and from the right (if you are in the inside lane). These are perfectly normal situations and can happen multiple times in any single outing.

It is also a perfectly normal situation to have vehicles turning right onto dual-carriageway roads from the right, to cross to the median to wait for a gap in the traffic.

It should, and has been, OK to use TACC and Lane Following on these major roads.

Over the last 2 or 3 months, the car's collision avoidance has been wrongly interpreting these everyday situations as threats and suddenly decelerating and sounding it's loud klaxon warning.

If a collision were imminent, the deceleration is way too late and would ensure a collision. There's the added real risk of being hit from behind.

The behaviour is scary for the driver and passengers and I'm really frustrated by it.

If you would drive on the correct side of the road, you wouldn't have that problem.

Kidding.

Seriously, I have been experiencing up and downs with that behavior through various software updates. It is always two steps forward, one step back. I've resigned myself to dealing with it until it gets sorted out. Which I hope and believe it will.

• Funny
Reactions: fholbert
The majority of our main roads are 2-lanes/side dual carriageway with a wide median for cars entering or leaving the road.

Vehicles can turn alongside you from the left (if you're in the outside lane), and from the right (if you are in the inside lane). These are perfectly normal situations and can happen multiple times in any single outing.

It is also a perfectly normal situation to have vehicles turning right onto dual-carriageway roads from the right, to cross to the median to wait for a gap in the traffic.

It should, and has been, OK to use TACC and Lane Following on these major roads.

Over the last 2 or 3 months, the car's collision avoidance has been wrongly interpreting these everyday situations as threats and suddenly decelerating and sounding it's loud klaxon warning.

If a collision were imminent, the deceleration is way too late and would ensure a collision. There's the added real risk of being hit from behind.

The behaviour is scary for the driver and passengers and I'm really frustrated by it.
I assume you have a vision only Tesla(22 onwards), welcome to the world of stupid tesla decisions.

While a questionable decision, I don't think the vision only system is the problem. It's poor threat assessment and decision making.

The car decelerated on me twice yesterday within seconds and a few hundred metres of each other. In both cases vehicles were stationary in a 15m-wide median waiting for a gap in the traffic. I was ready for the second one and got my foot on the accelerator just as the klaxon went off and the car started decelerating.

It might have been my imagination but the car behind me seemed to be following me at a greater distance after the first deceleration.

I really wonder how much testing is done before this sort of functionality is released. Maybe we are the testers.