Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot current speed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is there anyway to set autopilot to use your current speed rather than what it thinks the speed limit is?
When driving round the M25 there are usually speed restrictions in place e.g. 50 for a bit and so would be useful to have it automatically go to current speed rather than accelerate and me then having to reduce it back down with the wheel.
Know you can click the speed limit and it'll automatically go to that after but not sure it works this way?

Is there anyway to set autopilot to use your current speed rather than what it thinks the speed limit is?
When driving round the M25 there are usually speed restrictions in place e.g. 50 for a bit and so would be useful to have it automatically go to current speed rather than accelerate and me then having to reduce it back down with the wheel.
Know you can click the speed limit and it'll automatically go to that after but not sure it works this way?
Apparently not. it always kicks in at the speed limit I believe. You are not the first to find this annoying

Reactions: pow216
would be useful to have it automatically go to current speed rather than accelerate and me then having to reduce it back down with the wheel.
A work-around that I found on the forums for engaging AP when the set speed is higher than desired:

Keep foot on accelerator after engaging AP. AP will not assume speed control until your foot is off the accelerator. Then while AP is engaged, roll the speed down to your target before releasing the pedal.​

I still think it would be better to have the right scroll wheel adjust set speed before engaging AP (since it's not performing any other useful function at that time). But I end up using this hack a couple times a day, and it prevents the surge acceleration above the intended speed.

Keep foot on accelerator after engaging AP. AP will not assume speed control until your foot is off the accelerator. Then while AP is engaged, roll the speed down to your target before releasing the pedal.

Only other way, additional to that, that I know is to follow another vehicle, before engaging TACC / AP, then adjust speed, then pull out to overtake

on Model-S/X with dedicated TACC/AP stalk, there are ways to engage at current speed, long-pull to change TACC speed to match currently disabled speed limit, nudge up/down by 1MPH & MPH etc.

WTF doesn't Tesla do the same as all the other manufacturers ?
I actually prefer the current implementation most of the time. Frequently I'm centered in the lane, 20-30 mph below the target speed. I prefer the simple double click to engage and achieve my intended speed, than to manually manage speed from where I started. Or when engaging in traffic, it's prepared for speeds above your current traffic-limited speed. Also, the whole "on-ramp to off-ramp" thing, where you engage while on the freeway entrance, and it handles the rest. Of course there are cases where engaging at/near the speed limit is not desirable, but I think those cases are a minority, at least in my experience.

Last edited: