Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AutoPilot display should be smaller, not larger - with Poll

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The only real purpose of the AutoPilot portion of the display is to reassure the driver that the cars sees what you do. The driver should have their eyes on the road anyway and you don’t need to control that area via touch so before the holiday update I was thinking the AP portion of the display should be made smaller. Instead Tesla made it larger and now drivers get a smaller map and have to reach farther for media control etc. It might make more sense when it’s time to reassure unfamiliar robotaxi passengers - but frankly it’s annoying while I have to drive. At a minimum I’d like the size to be user configurable or only go larger during a robotaxi ride. I’m curious how many others feel the same way.

Obviously, user configurable makes the most sense, but as long as AP is beta, I'd like to know that what the vehicle is seeing, is what I'm seeing. Ideally, it would be a HUD that would overlay on the actual road ahead, but barring that, I like being able to see the visualization larger. The blue lines are stronger. It takes me even less time than before to glance to make sure it's seeing what I'm seeing.

And while the driver should "have their eyes on the road", it only takes a glance to check the visualization. I have to glance in my left mirror, my right mirror, my rearview mirror, and my dash every 20secs or so. I want to know what's around me, in order to anticipate. Checking the visualization is part of checking the dash.

I agree that it doesn't need to be as big in the production release, ok for beta testing. What saddens me is the loss of clarity and to my eye, a messy design on the top half. The current speed used to stand out, now not so much. The regen line dividing top and bottom added to visual clarity for me; in general not a fan of the holiday relayout sigh. Only small plus is the nav under the speed if the map is covered and I think if it is going to be there (plus) it should always be there, not jump around based on the map visibility. Bah

I like the larger AP display but wish there was less left right white space in that area so the map can be slightly bigger.

I only have regular AP and I use the visualization as a basic check for blind spots. It's not the only check I do, just used as a confidence booster

I also wish the map when navigating looked more like google or waze navigation with the lower and forward view.

I'm going to bring down doom upon myself with this question. Why do we need to see what the car is doing, when we are doing the driving and not the car? It's just distracting, tells us very little and takes away from the other features such as maps/music etc.

I'm going to bring down doom upon myself with this question. Why do we need to see what the car is doing, when we are doing the driving and not the car? It's just distracting, tells us very little and takes away from the other features such as maps/music etc.

I use that display more than I thought I would. When I change lanes I look at the display every time. We don’t have anything in the side mirrors warning the lane is clear so that’s my go to display.

Last edited:
Reactions: APotatoGod
The ultimate solution would combine the visualizations by drawing map data onto the car visualization and drawing nearby objects onto the map. I could see the car visualization looking similar to a video game with a glowing path projected along nearby roads for navigation. Done well enough you wouldn't need the top down map unless you are more interested in your destination or just want to browse the map. Then you could also have the top down map shown more as a minimap in one corners of the car visualization as one of the layout options. Supporting multiple layout options also becomes more efficient if they combine the two visualizations and just show different viewpoints in each window. This is all my speculation and suggestion about how to resolve the size issue.

After living with the new UI for a while I like it even less. Lighting the Drive D in highbeam blue right next to the headlight symbol keeps making my brain think my highbeams are on. I have no idea why the moderators moved this thread about User Interface from User Interface to Autopilot cause it about more than that.

• Funny
I vote for larger, not smaller if there's only one design. Generally higher contrast information, less use of pastel colors on grey backgrounds etc.

Detailed user configurability for color themes, sizing and positioning would be most desirable. I am not very concerned about what the default is as long as I could change it. But it's clear that things like this evoke very different opinions. I don't like irrevocable choices being made for me, but it doesn't have to be that way.

• Informative