Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot features temporarily unavailable, AP1 been like this for over a week

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 2016 AP1 Model S all of a sudden displayed the "Autopilot features temporarily unavailable" telltale mid drive. I could see visualizations of other cars on the drive, and it seems like autopilot was available up until that point. Coincidently, I had washed the car about 30 mins before, but I'm hoping it has nothing to do with that. It's been over a week and it hasn't resolved itself.

When trying to engage cruise control or AP1 anyway, I get a cruise control disabled message and a code DI_w124. The Ultrasonics appear to be working fine, so I'm thinking camera or radars....I have a Service Center appt, but they are trying to diagnose it remotely first and are not sure what's going on. Has anyone had this sort of issue before?

Another thing I noticed is the instrument cluster flickers a little bit and vaguely displays "126" under the speedometer, in front of the vehicle figure. Could be unrelated. This car has MCU2. Any insight is appreciated, thanks!
IMG_0700.jpg

I'm late in responding, but I've had AP1 show that message a couple times. It resolved in less than a week, and I never figured out what fixed it. I did various things, including wiping off the radar, which tends to accumulate crud on pre-facelift cars like ours. I also saw mention that the camera area can get fogged up behind the windshield, but mine looked fine.

How did it turn out?

Ben

I had this problem with my 2014 S with AP1 and MCU2. It was stuck on for about 8 months. Rebooting did not help. Took it in to recalibrate the radar. Radar was not out of calibration but just the act of recalibrating cleared the problem. All was fine until 5 months later it happened again. No rain or water or anything unusual when it happened. Has been stuck on for a few weeks. Rebooting doesn’t help. This is obviously a firmware bug because nothing was changed other than running the radar calibration and it worked perfectly for 5 more months and I use autopilot a lot.

Last edited:
I had this problem with my 2014 S with AP1 and MCU2. It was stuck on for about 8 months. Rebooting did not help. Took it in to recalibrate the radar. Radar was not out of calibration but just the act of recalibrating cleared the problem. All was fine until 5 months later it happened again. No rain or water or anything unusual when it happened. Has been stuck on for a few weeks. Rebooting doesn’t help. This is obviously a firmware bug because nothing was changed other than running the radar calibration and it worked perfectly for 5 more months and I use autopilot a lot.
Mine also got misaligned a few months after. Perhaps you have the same issue I did. While the service center was recalibrating the radar the second time, they noticed the radar was making contact with the bumper, and so they filed down some of the bumper, and the problem has not reoccurred. This is a 2016.5 car so not sure how much this helps you, but maybe something to look for.

Reactions: Roxanne00
Just had it fixed a couple days ago. Somehow the radar became extremely misaligned, and so with a radar alignment, everything returned to normal. Thanks for chiming in Ben
Same problem I am having. Mine seems like a short with no rhyme or reason as to why it comes on or goes out. Used it for almost an hour the other day without issues so trying to figure out how the radar could be out of alignment but still work flawlessly when on.