Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Tesla Model Y, 1 week old, loss of autopilot features -camera alignment message, Ideas?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a brand new Model Y that I just picked up almost 2 weeks ago. For the first 5 days the autopilot calibrated and I could use the features. It then started displaying unavailable. In addition the display when driving no longer shows stop signs, stop lights or other cars. I have tried several things starting with he basics, to some more details done. The cameras seem to be all working fine, and even speed limit signs are still detected and displayed, the green light chime works. I have tried several things from the basic to more advanced with no luck, but Tesla service date is almost 3 weeks out. Here is what I tried:
  1. Letting sit overnight
  2. Settings>Service>Camer Calibration> Clear Calibration..... Driving 20-40 miles and watching blue circle around steering wheel complete and calibration in progress message go away, but features still unavailable.
  3. Tried following instructions on this video from Youtube and cleared DAS but no luck either, same result after re-calibration.
I really hate to be without anything for 3+ weeks now, and was thinking to either re-downlaod the software option under service menus or re-install software and start from scratch. When I goto the reinstall software option though, it tells me that it should only be done after a ECU is replaced, and not after a computer board and it says it in red, so wondering if this is something to avoid doing? Has anyone else re-installed software yet? Or do you think doing a factory reset would help, does that re-install the software or just wipe out the settings? Anyone have any input or have had this problem nd can suggest which to try instead of being without to for 3 weeks?

Reactions: SMLBound
I have called software service and they could do nothing, they said the same thing. As I stated, I have requested service in the app but appointment was 3 weeks out, now a little over 2 weeks out.

My fear is that since all the camera s seem to work its something with the software, but my real fear is I want to take this on a trip to WI and do not want to be without basic cruise control driving form Texas. I will wait the 2 weeks if nothing else works and take for my Service appointment, but it appears many people with similar issues go , and have the same issue re-appear after they leave service, or have poor camera alignments where the lane centering is off, and then they are told to clear calibration and when it goes to re-calibrate the same things happens and they are back at the same point again.
When you hit the camera button to bring up the rear view and repeaters, is one of the repeaters out? I’ve had similar issues when a side cam fails.
In regular camera mode all cameras work. IN service mode it shows all seven as green on the screen where you can clear DAS

Upvote 0
You did not mention rebooting.

Have you tried rebooting the MCU by pressing both steering wheel scroll buttons until the display goes black? And, if that does not work, try rebooting the car by changing your wheel configuration in the service panel.

If neither of these work, then, do a service request.

Upvote 0
I have called software service and they could do nothing, they said the same thing. As I stated, I have requested service in the app but appointment was 3 weeks out, now a little over 2 weeks out.

My fear is that since all the camera s seem to work its something with the software, but my real fear is I want to take this on a trip to WI and do not want to be without basic cruise control driving form Texas. I will wait the 2 weeks if nothing else works and take for my Service appointment, but it appears many people with similar issues go , and have the same issue re-appear after they leave service, or have poor camera alignments where the lane centering is off, and then they are told to clear calibration and when it goes to re-calibrate the same things happens and they are back at the same point again.

Upvote 0
You did not mention rebooting.

Have you tried rebooting the MCU by pressing both steering wheel scroll buttons until the display goes black? And, if that does not work, try rebooting the car by changing your wheel configuration in the service panel.

If neither of these work, then, do a service request.
Sorry, Yes, I have tried rebooting holding the two scroll wheels in while driving and it rebooted, no luck. I also did a were off, but only waited like 1 minute before turning back on. Curious though, how do I go about this?
"changing your wheel configuration in the service panel."?

Upvote 0
Go to the service tab. There should be a button to tap to set your wheel size. Note the current setting so you can set it back later. Change the selection to anything else. The car will reboot, presumably rebooting the AP computer. After rebooting, go back to the service tab and change the wheel config back to the original selection. The car will reboot again. Then, check to see if your ADAS functions have returned.

The scroll wheel reboot apparently only reboots the MCU. Your issue likely stems from a bug in the AP computer, which performs all of the ADAS functions. So, this is what you want to reboot. Apparently, changing the wheel size requires the AP computer to reboot and load new parameters. In any event, it's worth a try.

If that doesn't work, you could go through with reinstalling the software. I've never had to do this, but others have with no ill effects. Doing so will definitely reboot everything on the car, which is really all you should need. Assuming that there is no hardware failure, it's likely that you have triggered a software bug in the AP computer that is bad enough to disable your ADAS, but not bad enough to trigger a reboot.

Upvote 0
I have a brand new Model Y that I just picked up almost 2 weeks ago. For the first 5 days the autopilot calibrated and I could use the features. It then started displaying unavailable. In addition the display when driving no longer shows stop signs, stop lights or other cars. I have tried several things starting with he basics, to some more details done. The cameras seem to be all working fine, and even speed limit signs are still detected and displayed, the green light chime works. I have tried several things from the basic to more advanced with no luck, but Tesla service date is almost 3 weeks out. Here is what I tried:
  1. Letting sit overnight
  2. Settings>Service>Camer Calibration> Clear Calibration..... Driving 20-40 miles and watching blue circle around steering wheel complete and calibration in progress message go away, but features still unavailable.
  3. Tried following instructions on this video from Youtube and cleared DAS but no luck either, same result after re-calibration.
I really hate to be without anything for 3+ weeks now, and was thinking to either re-downlaod the software option under service menus or re-install software and start from scratch. When I goto the reinstall software option though, it tells me that it should only be done after a ECU is replaced, and not after a computer board and it says it in red, so wondering if this is something to avoid doing? Has anyone else re-installed software yet? Or do you think doing a factory reset would help, does that re-install the software or just wipe out the settings? Anyone have any input or have had this problem nd can suggest which to try instead of being without to for 3 weeks?
One thing that can help service is doing a bug report. When you attempt to engage AP, and you get a warning about camera alignment that prevents you from engaging, press the voice button and say "bug report". Append your service information with the date/time of the bug report so they can pull the telemetry from your car.

• Helpful
Reactions: JB47394
Upvote 0
Go to the service tab. There should be a button to tap to set your wheel size. Note the current setting so you can set it back later. Change the selection to anything else. The car will reboot, presumably rebooting the AP computer. After rebooting, go back to the service tab and change the wheel config back to the original selection. The car will reboot again. Then, check to see if your ADAS functions have returned.

The scroll wheel reboot apparently only reboots the MCU. Your issue likely stems from a bug in the AP computer, which performs all of the ADAS functions. So, this is what you want to reboot. Apparently, changing the wheel size requires the AP computer to reboot and load new parameters. In any event, it's worth a try.

If that doesn't work, you could go through with reinstalling the software. I've never had to do this, but others have with no ill effects. Doing so will definitely reboot everything on the car, which is really all you should need. Assuming that there is no hardware failure, it's likely that you have triggered a software bug in the AP computer that is bad enough to disable your ADAS, but not bad enough to trigger a reboot.
Thanks for the reply, today I also noticed couple of other things, the least important is that I am on an older version of software, so is there anyway to force the update as it would probably reboot after that. More Important, I also noticed that I have a couple of repeated error messages in service mode that appear, every time I try to engage the autopilot or cruise control function after calibration completes, see attached photos, most interesting as before after after I cleared DAS and before the last recalibrate attempt, all camera angles showed green on the driver Assistance screen under cameras. Now the front right view is showing pitch error to match the repeated error message in service alerts. I tried clearing DAS again, but it refreshes and comes back with the same error. This error was present starteign jsut yesterday and it had been failing before that. Could I have somehow moved the housing or the camera unit putting up my front windshield sunshade or what would suddenly cause this?

Also wondering if this changes your advice at all before I try what you suggested?

Attachments

• IMG_8246.jpeg
    IMG_8246.jpeg
    379.7 KB · Views: 210
  • IMG_8247.jpeg
    IMG_8247.jpeg
    425.7 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_8248.jpeg
    IMG_8248.jpeg
    269 KB · Views: 103
  • Informative
Reactions: JB47394
Upvote 0
One thing that can help service is doing a bug report. When you attempt to engage AP, and you get a warning about camera alignment that prevents you from engaging, press the voice button and say "bug report". Append your service information with the date/time of the bug report so they can pull the telemetry from your car.
Are the bug reports different from the error messages I see in the service alerts section? (As I have already sent those to them)

Upvote 0
As I said - bug reports gather all the telemetry from the car and package it together for the service team. It's different from screenshots of the service menu.
cool will do that, but every time I add a pic or sentence to my Tesla service appointment it pushes my service date out further. I guess I will keep and give to them in person. So far this has been just a horrible user experience as I can understand if I am adding item to take care, that they would push the date out, but the app automatically does it if you even add a sentence of info and if you message them they message back to add it to the item you have opened which pushes the date out.

Upvote 0
cool will do that, but every time I add a pic or sentence to my Tesla service appointment it pushes my service date out further. I guess I will keep and give to them in person. So far this has been just a horrible user experience as I can understand if I am adding item to take care, that they would push the date out, but the app automatically does it if you even add a sentence of info and if you message them they message back to add it to the item you have opened which pushes the date out.
You don't add anything to the service appointment. Just message them and say you created a bug report with the date/time you created it. It's not something you attach or change. Just let them know so they can remote into your car and grab the data.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the reply, today I also noticed couple of other things, the least important is that I am on an older version of software, so is there anyway to force the update as it would probably reboot after that. More Important, I also noticed that I have a couple of repeated error messages in service mode that appear, every time I try to engage the autopilot or cruise control function after calibration completes, see attached photos, most interesting as before after after I cleared DAS and before the last recalibrate attempt, all camera angles showed green on the driver Assistance screen under cameras. Now the front right view is showing pitch error to match the repeated error message in service alerts. I tried clearing DAS again, but it refreshes and comes back with the same error. This error was present starteign jsut yesterday and it had been failing before that. Could I have somehow moved the housing or the camera unit putting up my front windshield sunshade or what would suddenly cause this?

Also wondering if this changes your advice at all before I try what you suggested?
The error regarding the camera pitch requires a service call. Do a service request. The camera needs to be physically aligned as it is pointing too far up or down and the required field of view is cut off. That should fix your issues. The camera was likely not aligned properly at the factory.

Upvote 0