Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Group statistics

Members:
Threads:

Latest posts

Hawaii Tesla Owners

Autopilot limited to 45 around Kailua Kona

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I live in Kailua Kona and we've only had our Model X a couple of months. We have discovered that autopilot is always limited to 45. The speed limit is 55 going past the airport and towards Kainaliu. Even so, with the speed assist set to relative +5, shouldn't I be able to go up to 50 between Makalapua and the harbor? I'm wondering if this is a gps data issue or something else. Do other owners on the big island have this problem?

Speed assist has nothing to do with AP and the offset from the know speed limit. Speed assist only provides visual and audible speed limit warnings.
Your auto pilot is limited because of an outdated database. AP can't read signs yet.
If you want to drive faster than the limited speed, just press the accelerator. The car will still steer but AP won't have control of your speed until you release the accelerator.

It's not just around Kailua-Kona. Anywhere on the Big Island is the same thing, even on the freshly completed new Daniel Inouye highway, where the speed limit is 60mph. It looks like the database does not include any speed limits for any road on the Big Island.
We can hope that version 9 of the firmware (likely to be pushed out to cars in September) will include reading speed limit signs.

IMG_0184.jpg

I received my Model 3 on 1/24/19. Autosteer initially had no speed limits in its database so was limited to 45mph. Slowly it has gathered data and is mostly correct although oddly different depending on which direction you travel the same road. Sometimes I am limited to 5mph over the speed limit in the database and sometimes I can go 10mph over. Still trying to see a pattern, but not yet. It is getting better as time goes by and I put more miles on. I am in Kona.

Attachments

• IMG_0184.jpg
    IMG_0184.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 0