Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot & LTE

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

I recently purchased a model 3. I park in a garage at work where there is no LTE service. Upon leaving the garage, my autopilot is completely off. No warning messages, no speed limit, lanes, etc. I do know there is a sentry mode bug that could be impacting AP. Is there any relation between AP and having no LTE connectivity that could impact or disable AP?

Thanks

It only happens when I park in the garage with no service for a long time (6-8 hours). The first time, soft reset did not work and I tried the powercycle (power off via screen) and left it charging overnight and it brought back all AP functions.

The second time I took it to the garage, same issue, no AP. I disabled sentry mode and parked it when I got home. This time, AP came back after 30 mins - 1 hr.

Today, I left sentry mode off and parked it in the garage again. I am hoping it's sentry mode causing sleep issues vs. not having LTE connectivity.

There have been reports that Sentry mode can fail to give the cameras back to Autopilot in some firmware versions, leading to symptoms like you describe (but unrelated to LTE reception or lack thereof.)

I've heard that some of those cases were fixed by turning Sentry off and then letting the car go to sleep and waking it up half an hour later...

There have been reports that Sentry mode can fail to give the cameras back to Autopilot in some firmware versions, leading to symptoms like you describe (but unrelated to LTE reception or lack thereof.)

I've heard that some of those cases were fixed by turning Sentry off and then letting the car go to sleep and waking it up half an hour later...
Interestingly, in reviewing my Sentry mode videos the other day, I found multiple instances where Sentry mode didn't release the cameras and recorded my entire drive after having been parked. But, I haven't had any problems with lane line or vehicle visualization or received notice that AP/Autosteer is unavailable (I don't have FSD). I'm also on 16.3.2.