Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AutoPilot Software Bug

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wow, the NHTSA objections have delivered software that's got some serious problems. For reasons unknown to me autopilot flipped out and insisted I wasn't paying attention. This in every decreasing nag screens. I was darn near ripping the thing off the road and it was still insisting it wasn't detecting user attention. It deactivates and then warns me if this happens 5 times it will disable autopilot. Yea, I'm not too happy - I looked like a drunk weaving around on the interstate and Tesla blames me? Nu-uh. I wonder if I can trigger sentinel so I can get a record of this thing misbehaving. Hmm.

Reported it to Tesla, don't expect much from them. Just sharing/venting.

Tesla: Threatening your users is a pretty bad idea in general, and it's darn sure not a good thing when it's your software that's F'd up.

I know a lot of people are encountering more frequent nags, but I haven’t notice any difference since installing the recall version, on two different cars. Not sure if that’s because I hold the wheel differently, keep my eyes on the road (mostly), or something else. I do get nags occasionally, so I’m not holding the wheel “perfectly,” but they’re no more frequent than before. My cars are a 2023 S and 2023 MYP, both with HW4.

I also read a lot about increased AP nags, but since the holiday update I really have not noticed much of an increase. Maybe a tiny bit. It went from pretty much never to maybe one nag every 20 drives or so using AP. When using AP, I typically have my right elbow on the center armrest and my right hand lightly holding/hanging off the right steering wheel spoke. I also drive with my head on a swivel a lot checking my surroundings. I've noticed that when I do get a nag, it usually appears when I'm REALLY not looking at the road, so it seems like they are appropriate.

The increased warnings at start are pretty obvious, but I have not discerned an increase in frequency. Until it freaked out. It was rainy with marginal visibility - perhaps a camera was blinded and it handled it badly. Perhaps anything. However, it’s never just ignored serious user feedback to the wheel before, and as we all know you only get a few seconds to prove you’re paying attention. It’s been fine since too, so who know?

Bug reported, forums members shared with, time to move on..

Wow, the NHTSA objections have delivered software that's got some serious problems. For reasons unknown to me autopilot flipped out and insisted I wasn't paying attention. This in every decreasing nag screens. I was darn near ripping the thing off the road and it was still insisting it wasn't detecting user attention. It deactivates and then warns me if this happens 5 times it will disable autopilot. Yea, I'm not too happy - I looked like a drunk weaving around on the interstate and Tesla blames me? Nu-uh. I wonder if I can trigger sentinel so I can get a record of this thing misbehaving. Hmm.

Reported it to Tesla, don't expect much from them. Just sharing/venting.

Tesla: Threatening your users is a pretty bad idea in general, and it's darn sure not a good thing when it's your software that's F'd up.
You can flick the left hand steering scroll wheel to provide the needed feedback to prove that you're paying attention. This is a lot easier than trying to provide feedback via steering wheel torque.

Having said that, I have noticed that sometimes I get AP warnings every 30secs or so, multiple times in a row, but then it seems to settle down.

Yea, it sucks. It’s watching hour eyes from the interior camera. It doesn’t seem to care if you watch it’s screen for half and hour, but put a cell phone up to the steering wheel so you can see it and drive? It will insta bitch. Shame that. It’s not like drivers don’t take their eyes off the road for a second for a million different things, using auto pilot was a simple safety addition for that second. Now? Useless.

It’s a shame those that abused it f’d it up for everybody else.