Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot wont engage [2021.4.12.2]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

R1Fast

P3D Blue/White
Sep 11, 2018
Seattle
Wondering if anyone else is having this issue (now or recently)

Autopilot stopped working in my P3 shortly (maybe right) after the last update to 2021.4.12.2. First time in 3 years I've ever had an issue with my 3 and/or Autopilot.

I would normally assume it's an issue w/this specific SW version, but not seeing anything on either TMC or TOO so maybe it's just my car.

My 3 has the HW3 retrofit and it's been flawless for the last 18 months, til this update.

I've done multiple soft/hard resets, removed USB devices and disabled Sentry per a few threads I found. I went as far as recalibrating the cameras which initially worked for the first drive, but failed again on the next drive. Further attempts to recalibrate have not been successful. Double-clicking the stalk (anywhere incl highways) gives the generic 'autosteer is unavailable' or 'steering assist reduced'.

Is anyone else having this issue or any suggestions other than a service appointment? Our SC is backlogged until mid May.

Autopilot stopped working in my P3 shortly (maybe right) after the last update to 2021.4.12.2. First time in 3 years I've ever had an issue with my 3 and/or Autopilot.

I would normally assume it's an issue w/this specific SW version, but not seeing anything on either TMC or TOO so maybe it's just my car.

My 3 has the HW3 retrofit and it's been flawless for the last 18 months, til this update.

I've done multiple soft/hard resets, removed USB devices and disabled Sentry per a few threads I found. I went as far as recalibrating the cameras which initially worked for the first drive, but failed again on the next drive. Further attempts to recalibrate have not been successful. Double-clicking the stalk (anywhere incl highways) gives the generic 'autosteer is unavailable' or 'steering assist reduced'.

Is anyone else having this issue or any suggestions other than a service appointment? Our SC is backlogged until mid May.
Yesterday we installed 12.4.2 in our MY. Used Autopilot for the first time today on a local road with 35 MPH speed limit. Used Autopilot on this road dozens of times before without incident. But today it would have blown through a red light if I had not slammed on the brakes. At the next red light it slowed to almost a complete stop but then accelerated and almost T-boned a pickup truck that was passing through the intersection on a green light. Both times chimes went off, a large red steering wheel and a message telling me to take control
of my vehicle were displayed. I’ll try it again this week and report back if there are more issues.

I installed this same version 4 days ago (still not on newer version).

Autopilot worked fine first 5-10 minutes after installation that the wheel never displayed in the UI. Did reboots etc, nothing. Than it worked a few times very sporadicaly, but wheel in UI almost never present.

Now the last 2 days it has been back.

BUT: It car does not stop automatically as before when entering roundabouts etc, so be very careful with this version.

I guess they had some bugs in the releases and that is why they have so many incremental minor updates lately.

Hope my car soon gets a new sw like 2021.4.15 because now its not usable.

Yesterday we installed 12.4.2 in our MY. Used Autopilot for the first time today on a local road with 35 MPH speed limit. Used Autopilot on this road dozens of times before without incident. But today it would have blown through a red light if I had not slammed on the brakes. At the next red light it slowed to almost a complete stop but then accelerated and almost T-boned a pickup truck that was passing through the intersection on a green light. Both times chimes went off, a large red steering wheel and a message telling me to take control
of my vehicle were displayed. I’ll try it again this week and report back if there are more issues.
I've noticed that the red light/stop sign detection got turned off in settings after an update a while back so double check that. It was fine after I re-enabled it.

Is anyone actively autocrossing their M3P's in SCCA autocross in Super Street class? We're in the market for one and I'm curious what folks are running within that class for wheel/tire setups.

SS Rules:
1) Wheel width cannot change, but wheel size can be +1/-1.... so 19x9 is probably the best bet for staying legal and driving manners, but finding wheels in that size seems to be challenging.
2) Only shocks can be changed out. Looked like Unplugged Performance has some shocks for that purpose. Autocross-Spec Adjustable Shock Set for Tesla Model 3 - Unplugged Performance
3) Brake Pads + fluid can be adjusted.
4) Not much else can be changed from what I recall.

Seems to me the biggest limitations are the M3's native lack of camber adjustment and wheel size, but you could still piece together a car that is fairly competitive.

Thoughts?

Did you reply to the wrong thread?

I've noticed that the red light/stop sign detection got turned off in settings after an update a while back so double check that. It was fine after I re-enabled it.
Sorry I didn’t report back sooner. Superblast was correct. After the last update I had to opt back in and Agree to the legal disclaimer in Settings in order to get the red light/stop sign detection turned back on. Note to self: check this after each update!

Reactions: superblast

I finally got a chance to try autopilot yesterday and it's still working fine for me. Hopefully, the SC can get you in sooner than May.
2018 AWD, HW3, v2021.4.12.2

Definitely the buggiest update I can remember. It’s been flawless prior to this one.
I just drove 800 Miles with zero disengagements or safety take overs. also multiple shorter trips a week prior to this update. All great.

2018 RWD HW3.
2021.4.12.2 was the first time I felt at risk. Initial test drive of 40 miles had at least 20 random disengagements/ takeovers. Autopilot hard to engage, drifts out of lane, drops all AP on freeways suddenly. Too many to remember. Further testing was not much better.

I only recently started seeing the “autosteer temporarily unavailable” while driving on perfectly clear days with no fog, rain, or heavy snow, and it always occurred in the mornings between 6 AM and 7:30 AM. Sometimes autosteer would later become available during my 40 minute drive to work.

Because of the sudden onset of this problem, I thought it might be related to one of the recent software upgrades. And because of the consistent timing of this unavailability of autosteer in the mornings, I thought about the possibility that perhaps autosteer now requires the headlights to be engaged during specific hours in the morning and evening, or when the ambient outdoor sunlight intensity is below a specific threshold.

So I tested that hypothesis and it seems to be correct. The last several times that I had no availability of autosteer in the mornings, I noticed that my headlights were in the “off” setting rather than the “auto” setting. As soon as I changed the headlight setting to “auto”, the small gray steering wheel circle icon on the display was immediately available again, giving me access to autosteer, and it functioned perfectly each time.

To further test this theory, as soon as I turned the headlights back to the “off” setting, the autosteer was no longer available and the gray steering wheel icon was gone from the display, during these morning drives. This is never an issue later in the morning and afternoon, when the ambient sunlight is brighter.