Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopolit question ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
60c674aef03c43e9b963b9ef40a70191_q70.jpeg

I want to confirm that how to clean the highway lane in US? Last year in China the autopilot accident is caused by a very slowly rubbish cleaning truck !

Thanks!

In the USA there is no country-wide policy on this. Each state's transportation department gets to set a policy as to how they perform such roadwork or respond to emergency scenes. This is not a catch-all solution. As others have mentioned, some states will have a police car following behind a slow moving work truck, or just another work truck with a lighted arrow telling you to move one lane over. Unfortunately, Tesla Autopilot currently does not understand police lights or construction signs, so neither will prevent such an accident.

Unfortunately the current Autopilot is not designed to handle these kinds of situations. Until Autopilot 2 becomes more capable, the only way to prevent these kinds of accidents is to be paying attention.

In the USA there is no country-wide policy on this. Each state's transportation department gets to set a policy as to how they perform such roadwork or respond to emergency scenes. This is not a catch-all solution. As others have mentioned, some states will have a police car following behind a slow moving work truck, or just another work truck with a lighted arrow telling you to move one lane over. Unfortunately, Tesla Autopilot currently does not understand police lights or construction signs, so neither will prevent such an accident.

Unfortunately the current Autopilot is not designed to handle these kinds of situations. Until Autopilot 2 becomes more capable, the only way to prevent these kinds of accidents is to be paying attention.
Thanks above all , My MS is Autopilot 1.0 and odometers is more than 110,000 KM with energy 186 Wh/Hr ! The main reason is autopilot for long distance travel in 2 years. I loved this amazing function ! I worried this accident arguing result is the function will be forbidden by government !
BTW, MS can recognized this cleaning truck if it was not over the lane line!