Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Short life with my Tesla MX

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Your insurance company will compensate you for your loss. They will consider it a not at fault claim. They will then go after the causative party's insurance company to offset their costs.
If your car can be fixed, your insurance company will pay for it. If it is totaled, they will offer you what on-line pricing is for an equilivent replacement car. If your policy covers a new replacement car within a certain period of time, they will pay you the new costs, plus license and taxes.
Their settlement will be a check they cut when you both agree upon an amount. Some negotions are usually done as insurance wants to send you the least, and customer will want to be paid the most.

The Tax credit will not be part of the negotiations. OP might come out nicely ahead, financially, as they now get an instant credit off the new pricing.

Reactions: mojavedesert
Your insurance company will compensate you for your loss. They will consider it a not at fault claim. They will then go after the causative party's insurance company to offset their costs.
If your car can be fixed, your insurance company will pay for it. If it is totaled, they will offer you what on-line pricing is for an equilivent replacement car. If your policy covers a new replacement car within a certain period of time, they will pay you the new costs, plus license and taxes.
Their settlement will be a check they cut when you both agree upon an amount. Some negotions are usually done as insurance wants to send you the least, and customer will want to be paid the most.

The Tax credit will not be part of the negotiations. OP might come out nicely ahead, financially, as they now get an instant credit off the new pricing.
Thanks. It's totaled. State Farm had issue me a check for less than $4.5K what I paid for 2 months ago (luckily I will get $7.5K tax incentive for it). They are going after the other guy's insurance to collect what they paid me plus my $250 deductible. It's too bad that if I purchased the new X with the same configuration, it will cost extra $2.5K for Ultra Red.

Thanks. It's totaled. State Farm had issue me a check for less than $4.5K what I paid for 2 months ago (luckily I will get $7.5K tax incentive for it). They are going after the other guy's insurance to collect what they paid me plus my $250 deductible. It's too bad that if I purchased the new X with the same configuration, it will cost extra $2.5K for Ultra Red.

The most important thing is that you’re safe and sound. That ultra red is beautiful and it’s the color I picked as well. Do you plan on ordering another one?

I am planning on it, maybe I'll order one with the tax incentive version. Ultra red will cost extra $2.5K + $7.5K = $10K. I love the red but $10K is too much for it.

I completely understand. I opted for the Ultra Red, which at the time was included, and white interior, which was extra. However, I don't quality for the credit, so it was really a $2,000 decision. If I had qualified, I would have opted for the default interior. I wish they made the interior options inclusive of the cost because I would assume to most people that's what matters more. It's where you sit every time you drive the car. That would be better than the exterior colors being included, in my opinion at least. I'll bet Tesla has data that helps them drive those decisions.

I also think they should have left White as the default. Teslas all look really sharp in white. Just my two cents :)

Tesla seems good at engineering a vehicle that really absorbs the collision without transmitting the energy from the collision to the occupants of the vehicle and in so doing the cars tend to be totaled. The former is the ideal and in this case the latter is also desired (as who would want to drive that car after that damage). Good luck with your next Model X.