Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autosteer - turned into curb on first corner

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m also miffed. Used FSD to parallel park and it hit high curb on the opposite side of the road. Guess that won’t be fixed either...
If another vehicle had been there it would have been fine but be warned, it cannot see a high curb!!!

I see stories about autopilot hitting curbs, hitting potholes, hitting animals, even hitting trucks, (including one recently in Taiwan, luckily not fatal). It also OFTEN avoids a lot of those things.
FFS people, you must pay attention AND keep your hands on the wheel. I love having autopilot, use it a hell of a lot, but don’t trust it any more than I would a twelve year old.

EXACTLY what part of that do people not understand?

wheres that woman who asked if FSD is worth it. lol. half the time i try autosteer it disables because i dont like the radius it takes on gentle bends of the freeway

This is my #1 problem with Tesla autosteering as of June 2020. It starts corners too late and will get too close to K-rails in the process. If you try to coax it into the center of the lane, it disengages. None of the other brands I've tested do this. They allow you far more leeway in positioning the car in the lane.

Last edited:
Read the Owner's Manual. This concept is not mentioned anywhere in it. Coaxing the vehicle one way or the other is simply not possible when AP is active.

You can also coax it a few inches in the Tesla, but usually not enough to be safe or always pick the correct lane in a 1 > 2 split situation.

Last edited:
Would FSD have handled it better than AP?
I believe so, and here's why... There is a s-turn in my neighborhood on a 45mph road and my EAP, HW 2.5 car cannot make it through this s-turn without driver intervention. However, I have a friend in my neighborhood that just got the HW 3.0 update for his M3P and he told me it handled the s-turns perfectly, which was a new thing for him because his HW 2.5 had the same issues as mine.

I believe so, and here's why... There is a s-turn in my neighborhood on a 45mph road and my EAP, HW 2.5 car cannot make it through this s-turn without driver intervention. However, I have a friend in my neighborhood that just got the HW 3.0 update for his M3P and he told me it handled the s-turns perfectly, which was a new thing for him because his HW 2.5 had the same issues as mine.
So then it is the HW 2.5 that cannot do it.
I wonder if AP on HW 3.0 would have made that turn.

Really miffed - tried out Autosteer on my Model 3 for the first time today and 300 yards down the road there is a left turn, the car slowed down and started to turn into the corner fine and then just sharply turned more and hit the curb before I could react ...END QUOTE]

Your description of the incident makes it sound like the car was on a residential street and was somehow making a left turn when it hit a curb. Since Autopilot will NOT activate under such circumstances it sounds as though you thought the car was suppose to make such a turn by itself and had to intervene. Autopilot does NOT make left turns or right turns on residential streets ... at present, it is an 'auto-steer-assist' program designed to work best on highways and what we call secondary roads in the US with well painted lines. Now if you had it on
traffic aware cruise, NOT autopilot, the car would have slowed and would have also followed the curvature of the road if there was no steering input and eventually drifted into the curb.
So it sounds as though the car drifted left, perhaps because of the curvature of the road and hit the curb because it was NOT in autosteer., but rather in traffic aware cruise.
You did say it was the first time you attempted to use it.

Really miffed - tried out Autosteer on my Model 3 for the first time today and 300 yards down the road there is a left turn, the car slowed down and started to turn into the corner fine and then just sharply turned more and hit the curb before I could react ... I managed to grab the wheel and stop it mounting the pavement, but I now have curb rash on one of my alloys ...

In all my years of driving I have never damaged an alloy ... technically, I still haven't as the car did it ... !!!

Do Tesla offer a repair service for damage caused by Autosteer not working correctly? I have the dash-cam footage.
I've run into the same thing multiple times....in town driving though and on 2 lane S-curve. Auto-drive goes too tight on the inside corners. Not ready for prime time in town yet I hate to admit. Even with painted lines you have to know the weak links and this is one of them.

In my experience, for now it's best to treat autopilot much as you would a "student driver", where you need to pay attention to everything it's doing, and be ready to override at a moment's notice, especially at the start.

Over time you'll learn to spot the sorts of situations it can reliably handle, and the spots it struggles with. On my routine commute, 95% of the drive is seamless in autopilot, and there's a few spots it usually messes up. Once you're familiar with how it behaves, you can seamlessly transition to take control as you reach them.

For example, there's one place on my route home where the painted lines have faded off, and it tries to steer towards the curb. It's not enough of a miss-steer to be dangerous, but is non-ideal, so at that point my hands are always guiding the wheel, and it just disengages the steering with a small yank.

When driving in any situation you aren't familiar with using autopilot in, you should be guiding the wheel (kinda like you might guide someone's hand when first teaching them to write), considering autopilot to be practically just intelligent power steering, where if it tried to do something unsafe, it just smoothly disengages.

Reactions: MXLRplus