Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can cybertruck go over curbs / pot holes?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Will the cybertruck be the only Tesla vehicle that you can drive over a curb? My dad has a Lexus GX470 and it's the only car that can take advantage of going over curbs for parking spots separated by a curb. Instead of trying to straighten a car for a parking spot with say a curb on the left & a car on the right, you just make a wide right turn and let the front wheel go over the curb then back onto the pavement. I really wish Tesla Model Y or X could do that but it's not the kind of SUV I want to be going over curbs with with its rims that stick out and get curb rash. The Mercedes G-wagon I drove before was great for going over curbs too I did it once to flex on my friends that no curb was gonna stop me from making a left turn. Also one time I saw a car hit a ladder on the road direct, it was a normal SUV or sedan so it def took a hit from that, so I'd like to know if an offroad capable EV could hit a ladder better than a normal car.

I wonder what EV vehicles would be suitable to go over a curb or hit a pothole without much worry? Would any Rivian or Hummer EV be able to hit a pothole or curb at full speed like 30-70 mph and nothing happen? I wouldn't try to do it on purpose but I'd like to consider my future EV vehicle to be off road capable so it can hit a pothole without much incident.

I damaged my Model Y wheels to a curb and I had to get it fixed. When traveling to different states or places with bad roads or potholes or random curbs, I wish I had a vehicle that could handle hitting them at high speeds if it's unavoidable. It's just such a huge inconvenience that I had to address the damage while on vacation and far from home.

Last edited:
Instead of trying to straighten a car for a parking spot with say a curb on the left & a car on the right, you just make a wide right turn and let the front wheel go over the curb then back onto the pavement.

How about just learning how to drive properly and not relying on going over curbs? I can't even see what you're talking about.

Will the cybertruck be the only Tesla vehicle that you can drive over a curb? My dad has a Lexus GX470 and it's the only car that can take advantage of going over curbs for parking spots separated by a curb. Instead of trying to straighten a car for a parking spot with say a curb on the left & a car on the right, you just make a wide right turn and let the front wheel go over the curb then back onto the pavement. I really wish Tesla Model Y or X could do that but it's not the kind of SUV I want to be going over curbs with with its rims that stick out and get curb rash. The Mercedes G-wagon I drove before was great for going over curbs too I did it once to flex on my friends that no curb was gonna stop me from making a left turn. Also one time I saw a car hit a ladder on the road direct, it was a normal SUV or sedan so it def took a hit from that, so I'd like to know if an offroad capable EV could hit a ladder better than a normal car.

I wonder what EV vehicles would be suitable to go over a curb or hit a pothole without much worry? Would any Rivian or Hummer EV be able to hit a pothole or curb at full speed like 30-70 mph and nothing happen? I wouldn't try to do it on purpose but I'd like to consider my future EV vehicle to be off road capable so it can hit a pothole without much incident.

I damaged my Model Y wheels to a curb and I had to get it fixed. When traveling to different states or places with bad roads or potholes or random curbs, I wish I had a vehicle that could handle hitting them at high speeds if it's unavoidable. It's just such a huge inconvenience that I had to address the damage while on vacation and far from home.
Rim size is the most important factor in what you are asking. Large rims with short sidewalls greatly increase risk of pinch flats and rim cracks. If the CT has the ability to fit 17-18” rims (a milspec/hummvee 16.5” rim would be amazing) with at least 33” tires should have ok protection. If it comes with 20-22”+ like Rivian and other modern trucks risk will be high.

No

How about just learning how to drive properly and not relying on going over curbs? I can't even see what you're talking about.

Well sometimes going over curbs could be helpful for parallel parking so you can make fewer turns.

Or parking spaces next to curbs and has a car on the other side. I usually have to back into those so I can use my front axle to make a tighter turn and easier to straighten out. But some people don’t understand that I may be backing into a spot then a car will approach me and block me.

In our travels we’ve visited several cities where the side streets are so narrow that the local custom is to park with the passenger side wheels up on the curb to allow greater room for vehicles on the street. This is also the custom in Key West where you don’t want to block the curb gutters or you’ll create a swimming pool when the heavy rains hit.

Reactions: heymull
What ever this Cybertruck hit did some damage. Looks like damage to the bottom of the rear door as well.
1690659988000.png

1690659908754.png

• Funny
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Due to air adjustable suspension, CyberTruck will prove to be most capable of going over curbs, rough roads and potholes.

Will be an effective off roader, but not rock crawler.

No matter the vehicle, tire construction often will be the limiting factor for impacts.