Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AutoX and Roadcourse Tesla Model S Plaid General Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,

I do not see a thread for Roadcourse/AutoX modification for the Tesla Model S Plaid.

We start to see some guys in time attack and AutoX with VERY fast Plaids winning events.

I'm just started to do AutoX this week end with the car. I'm planning to do a few events on roadcourse with the car as well in the near future. I have a full race specs C7 GrandSport with a built NA engine that I also AutoX some time to time but mainly use for roadcourse. I'm curious to compare lap times once the Plaid will be somewhat track worthty ...

I also used to run a Modded Model 3 at my local AutoX events. (MPP camber arms, bushings, Coilovers, brakes)

Anyway what I have done so far with my Plaid

- T Sportline TSF 20" with 285/35 Bridgestone RE-71RS. I need bigger but I cannot choose the right type of wheels and tires for now... Not a lot of options in 20's... More in 19's but not oem diameter.
- MPP Lower arms bushings (2x per side)
- Carbotech XP12 brake pads front. Doing only the front was a huge mistake. The ABS went crazy all day and deceleration power felt was weaker than OEM. I'm hoping this is due to the mismatch set. I was not able to get rear pads in time since I'm still debating to match the front with XP12 rear or go XP10.
- N2Tive Lowering links at 5

Overall I was disapointed by the car. Really hard to drive. A Handful.

Even in Track Mode the suspension felt really soft for AutoX. This is weird because it feels really firm canyon carving. But for AutoX, way too soft...

The car was a total handful with regen at 50%, was better at 25% but I should've tried no regen at all. I need to ask pro AutoXers what setting they run, but the car was oversteering all over the place. I tried with normal ride height in track mode to go closer to OEM low, no real improvement. I know one guy did drop spindle for the car, as I believe the geometry is not optimal with lowering the car, like this happens on Corvettes.

The steering is not direct enough vs Model 3 so a lot of steering movements are required.

It's probably my fault, but the ABS was going crazy ice mode type at each hard braking. I hope this is due to my brake pads mismatch and that it will get better with rear pads...

Overall I did not feel faster than the Modded Model 3 at this time and the numbers are saying more or less the same...

What I'm planning to do :

- Carbotech XP10 or XP12 rear
- MPP Upper control arms
- MPP rear camber and traction arms
- MPP 400mm Big Fella kit
- Sadly no reasonable priced Coilovers options for the car... Looking at 10-15K for a set right now, totally crazy.
- Redo an alignment. I checked it myself with my alignment plates but I need a more precise one done.

Also look at the brake pads size in front VS my Corvette... No wonder the stock brakes suck... The pad is almost 1.5X smaller if not more... People are saying that despite that the 400mm kit is a good option for consistent braking.

IMG_20240503_141518.jpg

Here is my best run of the daym where I still sucked... To my defense I'm really sick with Covid like symptoms for the last 3 days, still managed to go to the event...

IMG_20240503_141137.jpg

So I learned that the Plaid is having bumpsteer issues at the rear especially when lowered. MPP rear arms set is adjustable to eliminate this. Looks like a rear bracing behind the back seats improves a lot the rigidity of the car...