Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AWD performance boost question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I actually left a 2020 bmw 3 series in the dust from a light as we were slowing down to about 10 mph a nights ago. I got to 60 and just cruised then he passed me and we got to the next light a minute later and as I'm pulling up next to him he rolls his windows down and says '"you go ahead, man. I can't win against you, just go ahead and he just sat there waiting for me to take off". Granted he had a few people in the car I still thought it was funny. I find most muscle cars don't even try or they will pull up to the light next to me and stay about a half car length behind me and let me go first. They're starting to learn.

Last edited:
This is the same for me. But weird thing....trucks and SUVs still do.
This. I stopped to talk with one of them, once. My take-away from that is he expected he was going to get blown away, and it was cool just watching my car go plus it was an excuse to make lots of noise with something that he personally put a lot of effort into assembling with his own hands. My guess it is less ego deflating because of the massively different size format?

I wish I could get someone takers, but luck here. Even my buddy won't try with his Porche anymore, on paper he should be close but in practice he can't take me.
Buddy needs to get better at shifting? :)

Reaction time to the "go" condition aside, anyone and their grandma can get maximum effort straight forward off the line with a Tesla. That is not the case with an standard transmission ICE. If the surface is wet, dirty, or something the Tesla will generally have an edge, too.

Buddy needs to get better at shifting? :)

Reaction time to the "go" condition aside, anyone and their grandma can get maximum effort straight forward off the line with a Tesla. That is not the case with an standard transmission ICE. If the surface is wet, dirty, or something the Tesla will generally have an edge, too.

I think it is also a bit of age thing, as an ICE ages, it loses some getup an go. Interested I wether Teslsa's will slow down?

Reactions: SammichLover
I think it is also a bit of age thing, as an ICE ages, it loses some getup an go. Interested I wether Teslsa's will slow down?
I haven't seen anyone try a before/after with significant miles (and fresh tires) but I expect unlikely in a prepped situation where you can be near full SOC. However over time you'll get to a lower SOC sooner, so that'll be a factor.

Back to the point of this thread, I have LR AWD, and I have to admit it is super rare now that I have put 25,000miles on it that I gun it. It is basically a trick for friends when they get a ride now and even at that it is rare I would do unless they ask. Still having said that I am tempted to grab some more power.

Back to the point of this thread, I have LR AWD, and I have to admit it is super rare now that I have put 25,000miles on it that I gun it. It is basically a trick for friends when they get a ride now and even at that it is rare I would do unless they ask. Still having said that I am tempted to grab some more power.
On ramps are your friends