Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Awful, Awful Customer Service from Sales / Delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have seriously considered canceling my order and telling them to shove it. Essentially, no one - not even my "delivery advisory" contacted me to state what all they needed to complete the sale. It was estimated a 2-week delivery. My showroom sales guy even emailed to state my configuration was rolling out of the factory so I could get that one sooner so we changed to it. After that - crickets. Anytime I needed to know what was happening, I would call the 888 service number and would be told we are waiting on XXXXX. The website nor anyone else contacted me to inform me what was needed. Throughout the whole process, I was required to go figure out what was needed. In the meantime, Elon is sending messages that staff needs to push sales/deliveries to try and beat quarter delivery goals. Sounds like to me they need some serious house cleaning if this is typical.

I have never had such horrible service. BMW has been phenomenal. I hope the Tesla service center is much better.

</end_rant>

Tesla sells over the Internet. Essentially everything that is needed to be known should be showing on your account.
You will tend to hear nothing until your car is available for pickup.
The information needed to complete the sale will be provided at the time the car is ready for delivery. It's basically insurance, driver's license and insurance.

Ordering a Tesla is like ordering from Amazon. You don't get hand holding through the process.

Order, wait, pay and drive home.

Tesla sells over the Internet. Essentially everything that is needed to be known should be showing on your account.
You will tend to hear nothing until your car is available for pickup.
The information needed to complete the sale will be provided at the time the car is ready for delivery. It's basically insurance, driver's license and insurance.

Ordering a Tesla is like ordering from Amazon. You don't get hand-holding through the process.

Order, wait, pay and drive home.

That is not the case if you are doing a trade-in and the process varies from state-to-state. For example, no one reached out to say they need the wire transfer confirmation number. Everyone was just sitting on their hands until I called and they stated they needed that. Afterward, they released the vehicle to ship. The "delivery advisory" contacted me 2 weeks after ordering asking for items that were already posted to the account. Additionally, they NEVER respond to emails. Good customer service is not hand holding. Fundamentally, it is just being competent with communications.

Be aware that with you being in Texas, at the appropriate time you will need to pay for the car before delivery.

Also, from these blogs and personal experience, I know that some things I and other owners have encountered are different from owning an ICE from a traditional auto company - the cost of progress and moving into the future of individual transportation.

I believe you will find the car amazing to drive and to own. Good luck.

• Disagree
Reactions: GreenT
I have never had such horrible service. BMW has been phenomenal. I hope the Tesla service center is much better.

I have a Telsa and a BMW currently. The former is on another level as far as sheer day-to-day driving enjoyment and overall technology. Just incredibly impressive. However the one time I've needed a replacement part (broken exterior mirror) it took 3+ weeks! A tech came to my house to install it and it was relatively inexpensive too, which helped but did not make up entirely for the fact I had to drive the car for 3 weeks without a mirror. Buying an inventory car was relatively painless for me but taking delivery was very quick, odd in many respects, and unprofessional.

The BMW customer service is pretty good and I can get nearly any part locally overnight if needed. Unfortunately the car is just not competitive with my Tesla. Not really even close IMO. The delivery experience was very professional and everything went in an expected way.

Unfortunately you can't get the best of everything and have to choose which is more important to you. For me the daily driving experience is most important as that's what I spend 99% of my time doing. If I spent 99% of my time dealing with Tesla Sales or Service I'd get a different car.

Buying a Tesla in Texas or any state where Tesla is not licensed to sell cars is a challenging process. You can’t just show up to the delivery center, inspect your car, and then pay and drive off. I’m sure they could make it better but I place at least some of the blame on the State politicians and lobbyists who have prevented Tesla from selling vehicles to consumers there in the first place. The State’s desire to “protect” traditional auto dealerships at the expense of consumers has contributed to this situation. So if you want to be angry, go yell at the politicians who have created this mess in the first place. And tell the legacy dealers that if they provided better service they wouldn’t have to worry about people buying Teslas.

I have a Telsa and a BMW currently. The former is on another level as far as sheer day-to-day driving enjoyment and overall technology. Just incredibly impressive. However the one time I've needed a replacement part (broken exterior mirror) it took 3+ weeks! A tech came to my house to install it and it was relatively inexpensive too, which helped but did not make up entirely for the fact I had to drive the car for 3 weeks without a mirror. Buying an inventory car was relatively painless for me but taking delivery was very quick, odd in many respects, and unprofessional.

The BMW customer service is pretty good and I can get nearly any part locally overnight if needed. Unfortunately the car is just not competitive with my Tesla. Not really even close IMO. The delivery experience was very professional and everything went in an expected way.

Unfortunately you can't get the best of everything and have to choose which is more important to you. For me the daily driving experience is most important as that's what I spend 99% of my time doing. If I spent 99% of my time dealing with Tesla Sales or Service I'd get a different car.
There is no substitute for instant torque and 1/4 of fuel cost.
I cannot go back to ice.
I hope nothing breaks on my model 3!!

• Love
Reactions: UncaNed
I have seriously considered canceling my order and telling them to shove it. Essentially, no one - not even my "delivery advisory" contacted me to state what all they needed to complete the sale. It was estimated a 2-week delivery. My showroom sales guy even emailed to state my configuration was rolling out of the factory so I could get that one sooner so we changed to it. After that - crickets. Anytime I needed to know what was happening, I would call the 888 service number and would be told we are waiting on XXXXX. The website nor anyone else contacted me to inform me what was needed. Throughout the whole process, I was required to go figure out what was needed. In the meantime, Elon is sending messages that staff needs to push sales/deliveries to try and beat quarter delivery goals. Sounds like to me they need some serious house cleaning if this is typical.

</end_rant>
Of course BMW is awesome. They get to charge you over MSRP and their sales guys get a commission. And just to set it straight I currently and have owned 5 BMW’s

My experience so far with a Texas order has been very different. I received a text with a delivery date 3 days after ordering the car, and two days later (yesterday) received an email from the delivery advisor (Alexis, who I believe handles Texas orders much of the time) requesting various information on my trade in, payment arrangements, etc. I emailed back within the hour with the requested items and by the end of the day yesterday she had finalized everything with a purchase order, final amount due, etc. All that's left is to wire the funds. She said delivery will take 7-10 days after payment and asked if I'm ok with a Tesla employee driving my car to my house.

Reactions: Bill Foster