Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2024 MY LR lower battery than expected

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is 3rd Tesla and 2nd MY LR, accepted delivery just now, once I accepted and could get in, I noticed the battery was 185 and at 62%, which means full power is at 298, not the 310 as advertised. I’m kicking myself for not checking when the guy dropped it off, but neither of my first two Teslas had this issue. Called sales and they were like yeah you need to get a service appt, and I know service will tell me the car is fine it’s within spec blah blah from my experiences with my first MY.

I DO think this is a pretty big deal, took over a year for my last MY to lose 11 miles off the range, what are my options here? Thanks

• Disagree
Reactions: GOVA
This is 3rd Tesla and 2nd MY LR, accepted delivery just now, once I accepted and could get in, I noticed the battery was 185 and at 62%, which means full power is at 298, not the 310 as advertised. I’m kicking myself for not checking when the guy dropped it off, but neither of my first two Teslas had this issue. Called sales and they were like yeah you need to get a service appt, and I know service will tell me the car is fine it’s within spec blah blah from my experiences with my first MY.

I DO think this is a pretty big deal, took over a year for my last MY to lose 11 miles off the range, what are my options here? Thanks
You are out of luck.

Tesla doesn't believe in refund so you are stuck with the one you took the delivery.

As you said, you can go to the service center and they might say it is not degraded down below 70%: well within specs!

• Disagree
Reactions: GOVA and zoomer0056
Please keep in mind that figuring the actual charge percentage of a L-Ion battery is more of an art than a science.
If the charge was 60% instead of 62% you'd not be complaining, and that's well within the measurement variation at that charge rate.😃

Try charging to 90%
going off of my two previous teslas, the miles displayed/battery %, or max capacity miles, has been within 1% for a long time after I got the car (actual miles driven vs displayed is a different issue), that’s why I’m concerned. Not sure if Tesla changed their max capacity algorithm since 2021, but I definitely don’t want a battery that starts losing capacity quickly…

This is speculation on my part, but it seems reasonable. For 2024 the EPA changed requirements when estimating range. The result is a lot closer to real-world performance, and it resulted in the 'EPA mileage number' dropping about 10%. With no other changes, the MYP went from 303 miles to 285 miles. I'm suspecting that the new number HAD to be used, and of course Tesla likes to put the EPA estimate as the 100% charge equivalent when the battery is new. So your number probably just reflects a different mileage test in use, and there is actually no difference between a 2024 range and one built on Dec 30th with the 2023 range. Only the guesstimate has changed, for the better.

going off of my two previous teslas, the miles displayed/battery %, or max capacity miles, has been within 1% for a long time after I got the car (actual miles driven vs displayed is a different issue), that’s why I’m concerned. Not sure if Tesla changed their max capacity algorithm since 2021, but I definitely don’t want a battery that starts losing capacity quickly…
Yes, you're the only one who doesn't want a battery that starts losing capacity quickly and, from the extensive evidence you've shared, the only one with a uniquely bad battery. I wouldn't do it myself but would strongly recommend you raise hell with Tesla over this. Do come back and share your Tesla's response with us; it will be entertaining to me if no one else.

• Funny
Reactions: vickh and brkaus

It's Tuesday. How bad has your battery capacity degraded? My guess is after a week, you can submit for a new battery as degradation would have exceeded the threshold.

This almost flat line on the graph is why it is so very difficult to correctly figure the state of charge of a Lithium-Ion battery.
1000005071.png

Reactions: holmgang
This is speculation on my part, but it seems reasonable. For 2024 the EPA changed requirements when estimating range. The result is a lot closer to real-world performance, and it resulted in the 'EPA mileage number' dropping about 10%. With no other changes, the MYP went from 303 miles to 285 miles. I'm suspecting that the new number HAD to be used, and of course Tesla likes to put the EPA estimate as the 100% charge equivalent when the battery is new. So your number probably just reflects a different mileage test in use, and there is actually no difference between a 2024 range and one built on Dec 30th with the 2023 range. Only the guesstimate has changed, for the better.

Doesn't OP's 310 max include the EPA change?