Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Awkward cabin filter change

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Nick77

Deep Blue Model 3 LR (2021 MIC)
Mar 15, 2020
Burton-on-Trent
Just done the first ever cabin filters change on my 2021 M3 LR (Made in China).

What was weird is the trim clips and position of the cabin filter cover are in slightly different places than shown in all the videos. Same goes for the position of all the HVAC screws, all different for some reason. Is this because it was one of the first MIC vehicles we got over here?

To start with there were only 3 of those push clips in the footwell top trim, not 4 as shown in the online official DIY guide, then one T20 screw over the right hand side near the door trim. The white electrical push-connector on the right of the trim just goes into an empty hole on the right and doesn't actually connect to anything which was weird. Then I pull the left side carpet trim off to expose the HVAC unit and the cabin filter cover is further up to the right than shown and almost right up behind the floor carpet. It was an absolute ballache to get to the T20 screw at the top (I thought this had been changed to the lower section of the cover for easier access?). It was right in line behind the top-most bit of dash trim (which I couldn't be arsed to try pulling all off) so I had to try and hook my hand/tool right up behind the lower dash trim just to about get access to the screw in a straight line. Absolute bitch to do in the end, especially trying to eyeball where it goes back into the hole in a dark footwell, while contorting my body and then tightening it all back up.

As for changing the filters themselves, I had to try and push the top left corner of the carpet (the bit with the massive foam block behind it to the left of the brake pedal) right down just to get the filters out or they wouldn't just slide out without hitting it and stopping. I even had to bend them to get them out there was so little room because of it. Getting the new ones in wasn't easy either.l and took a bit of forcing and slight bending just to get them in.

Absolute PITA and took nearly 30-40 mins instead of the quick and easy way it shows in all the guides and videos. Mainly because of how awkward it was to get to.

Anyone else have this same issue? Why is my car different from all the guides and pictures? I wish I'd taken a picture with the trim off so I could show you.

Just found this in another thread so will reply here instead of bumping that too.

I have a late 2020 LR (US-built facelift) UK RHD and I tried to replace the cabin filters at the weekend, but the cover seems to be different to the RHD guides on youtube. The access screw is at the bottom of the cover, the tab at the top, and the foot rest prevents me from getting a screwdriver or socket wrench on the screw. Also there's no orange cables clipped to the cover.

Are there any guides for this layout of interior build? I may be able to remove the screw with a 6mm ratchet spanner, but would rather avoid buying one if there's another way. Then there is the question of how to remove and replace the filters with the foot rest in the way?

I just had the exact same issue, but managed it with lots of pushing, bending and swearing. And contorting of my arms and body to get to the T20 screw at the top of the cover. Really, really awkward to do.

Did you manage yours in the end?

I did it on my 2020 and have no intention of doing it again, would rather pay someone £40 than get my Mission Impossible theme music out again and contort myself around the pedals whilst swearing profusely as I drop a screw for the fourth time.
I changed mum's Audi A1 and dad's twenty year old Lexus in less than 5 minutes total which included looking them up on Youtube.
I'm hoping with my low mileage I won't need to do it soon, previous owner hadn't changed it so after 3 years and 90k the aircon was a whisper and the filter was a solid block of grime.

Tesla makes a lot of running changes their cars, including to the trim around the passenger footwell and how the air filters are secured.

FWIW on my 2019 it's also a pain the butt to get too, mostly to reach waaay up in their and reach the T20 screw. I thought in a newer cars the covered is secured by a plastic clip at the bottom instead of the top (what an innovation, lol).

Long story short, your car is probably totally normal for it's age.

Reactions: Nick77