Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Baby Backseat mirror

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Have you guys been able to place any backseat mirrors on your M3?
There are times that I have to have the little one with me and I found that there is no way to fit the mirror anywhere but the middle back seat.
Any recommendations please make sure it's crash tested!

Can someone explain the appeal of this? I love buying car gadgets and I have two small (1&3) children, but I can't figure out what you would need a mirror for.

Is the purpose of the mirror just to make it easier to figure out precisely what they want (but will not get until we get where were going)? Knowing what I can't do for them doesn't seem any better than not knowing. is there some of their use I'm not thinking of?

My kids both quickly (like within a week) learned there's no point crying in the car because even if I know what they want there's nothing I can do to help.

P.s. I'm not at all trying to imply there's no reason to want a mirror. I'm genuinely curious what the appeal is.

My main reason is it’s often me alone in the car with my 18 month old. The seat she’s in doesnt allow me to easily see if she’s awake or sleeping just by quickly glancing back there and the mirror allows me to do just that. Just piece of mind knowing that I can see my kids face while I’m driving. Almost nothing to do with what my kid wants haha.

Reactions: kopo
I use one of these. It’s not easiest since most of the mirrors are designed for a standard headrest.
I might give the one @bmms8 linked.

Diono Easy View Plus Mirror with Remote and LED https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00P7PO6BC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_22ZTEbFVD78A1

I bought that and instantly returned it. It has a bright orange-ish backing that rubs off easily and I have white seats.

I just use a regular mirror and interlace the horizontal strap with the strap from the seat protector and forgo the vertical strap.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07RJ1WM32/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Disagree
Reactions: kpeng
I bought that and instantly returned it. It has a bright orange-ish backing that rubs off easily and I have white seats.

I just use a regular mirror and interlace the horizontal strap with the strap from the seat protector and forgo the vertical strap.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07RJ1WM32/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I had it from before I got the 3 and also coated the white seats in CQuartz before I used it and hasn’t been an issue.

Can someone explain the appeal of this? I love buying car gadgets and I have two small (1&3) children, but I can't figure out what you would need a mirror for.

Is the purpose of the mirror just to make it easier to figure out precisely what they want (but will not get until we get where were going)? Knowing what I can't do for them doesn't seem any better than not knowing. is there some of their use I'm not thinking of?

My kids both quickly (like within a week) learned there's no point crying in the car because even if I know what they want there's nothing I can do to help.

P.s. I'm not at all trying to imply there's no reason to want a mirror. I'm genuinely curious what the appeal is.

I agree with IDRVSLO, it's kinda like when you have a newborn and you keep checking if she or he is breathing all the time ( I do). Well it's the same thing, just to have a piece of mind that the child isn't all of a sudden chocking on a piece of loose Tesla plastic trim they found .

Reactions: kopo and IDRVSLO
I agree with IDRVSLO, it's kinda like when you have a newborn and you keep checking if she or he is breathing all the time ( I do). Well it's the same thing, just to have a piece of mind that the child isn't all of a sudden chocking on a piece of loose Tesla plastic trim they found .
Exactly and also when the wife answers yes to "did you buckle her in?" and you can instantly tell that was an incorrect statement :)

Have you guys been able to place any backseat mirrors on your M3?
There are times that I have to have the little one with me and I found that there is no way to fit the mirror anywhere but the middle back seat.
Any recommendations please make sure it's crash tested!
I use a regular one, and I attach it to the tether bars behind the rear headrest. I've attached a proper carabineer to the bar and fasten the straps to that for easy removal when I need to lay the seats down.
The most important thing is that the mirror doesn't come flying off if you got in aan accident. If you smash the child's face with the mirror then it doesn't really matter how safe the child seat is.

Reactions: IDRVSLO

I get the appeal of it having been a nervous new parent at one time. Seems like a lot of baby gadgets out there are aimed that that segment of the population.

When we took our old car as first time parents to the local fire department to have someone check our car seat installation and all the other assorted paraphernalia baby's car ride safety and comfort, they specifically recommended against attachments like baby view mirrors and suction cup window shades. One reason was that in an collision, they could turn into projectiles that could cause a facial injury. Another reason against the mirror specifically was that it serves as a very big distraction while driving, especially for sleep-deprived parents. Those safety considerations outweighed the ability to watch the kiddo in the mirror from the driver's seat and we uninstalled them. I'm happy to report that everyone seemed to survive...

P

I bought a mirror so I could see if the baby was sleeping. I found it helpful and reassuring. To my surprise I found having a mirror was very popular with the baby as he grew. Staring at the back seat is super boring but looking are the mirror he could see more. Made case journeys a dream.