Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Back seats Model Y vs. S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How is the size of the Model Y back seats compared to Model S ? Live in Norway, so there are no Model Y here. Is the Model Y back seat almost the same as Model 3?
I've had a Model S and now have a Model X,3,Y. The back seats in the Model Y are narrower overall than the model S, but are taller and thus, they feel mode comfortable. I believe there is a little bit more elbow room in the Model Y compared to the Model 3. And due to the higher seating position, they feel more spacious.

According to Car & Driver, the MY has 4" more rear headroom and 5" more rear legroom than the MS. When you add in the more upright seating position, the MY provides much more space. My son is 5'6", and he can comfortably cross his legs in the back seat.

According to Car & Driver, the MY has 4" more rear headroom and 5" more rear legroom than the MS. When you add in the more upright seating position, the MY provides much more space. My son is 5'6", and he can comfortably cross his legs in the back seat.
I very much question the 4" more headroom metric. Was that a Model S with a glass roof or with a solid roof? Using my very scientific "I just sat in them both" metric, I have about 1" more rear headroom in my S then in my Y. At 6'2", my head is about a half inch from the glass in the Y, and I have about 1.5" in the S. I can also rest my head on the rear headliner in the Y (potentially bad in an accident, I assume), whereas it's clear on the S.

We have a carseat in both, which makes it pretty obvious the S is wider. Packing a car seat and two mid-size adults into the back of the Y is very challenging, though I wouldn't say the S in the same conditions is exactly comfortable either.

In contrast, the legroom is ample in the Y while pretty tight in the S... to the point where, for my family's geometry, I kind of wish they'd pulled the seats forward a bit to unlock some more headroom at the expense of a bit of that ample legroom.

Edit: Also to add, the rear seating position in the S is weird. The seats are low relative to the floor and it makes your legs feel high. The Y feels like a normal car in the back.

• Informative
Reactions: kskog