Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bad touch up paint job by Tesla?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I picked up brand new MYLR on 7/2. At delivery, there was only 1 minor rock chip on side of rear passenger door, so I decided to proceed with delivery rather than releasing the VIN again. Tesla SC fixed the chip yesterday, and it just looks like poor quality job to me. The touch up paint is 3-d looking and does not look blended in properly. I spoke to the service manager before leaving , and he agreed to have it buff out next week, after the paint cures. I know it won’t be 100%, but should it look better than this? First pic is the original chip. As long as they can buff this out and make it blend better, I certain can live with it. Just wanted to see what everyone else thinks of this.

Attachments

• IMG_1898.jpeg
    IMG_1898.jpeg
    345.9 KB · Views: 267
  • IMG_1939.jpeg
    IMG_1939.jpeg
    525.2 KB · Views: 237
  • IMG_1941.jpeg
    IMG_1941.jpeg
    709.3 KB · Views: 195
Have Tesla buff the repair once the paint has cured. Small scratches like this are best touched up at home. (There are short instructional videos available on Dr Colorchip web site and other touch up suppliers such as TouchUpDirect.)

Apply a cleaner wax after curing and then leave it alone. Once touched up the scratch won't be noticed. Most small scratches are invisible from 4 or 5 feet or could be mistaken for dirt. You will almost certainly get other scratches and nicks in the bumper, hood and other painted parts over time.

Enjoy your new Tesla Model Y.