Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Badge Blackout

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Did you just go with the adhesive already applied to the emblems? I’m assuming it comes with adhesive or did you have to buy it separate mate? This is my worry, the adhesive not being as good as the OEM stuff

T badge I got from Emblems Only had 3M VHB tape which is same or better than what the factory would use. Probably all of them are using something very similar. Not gonna come off. If you do the individual Dual Motor letters and/or TESLA text on the rear just be careful at wash time cos they're such tiny pieces, but I've had no issues. Key is make sure the surface is perfectly clean and push the badges down nice and hard.

Reactions: Bootneckshuffl
Did you just go with the adhesive already applied to the emblems? I’m assuming it comes with adhesive or did you have to buy it separate mate? This is my worry, the adhesive not being as good as the OEM stuff
They all had foam adhesive tape on the rear surface and so far all have held up without any issue, including all the small lettering. It's important to wipe the surface with something like isopropanol just beforehand as it prepares the surface & assists grip. I can't recall if the supplier includes small impregnated wipes because I already have a bottle of isopropyl & used that.

Only worry for me with this method is the effectiveness of the adhesive
3M tape is the industry standard. If that stuff fails then new cars all over the world will have pieces falling off.

For example, I added aftermarket door handles to my Model Y. They are great! They stay attached with 3M tape. I was wondering about the handles but I have zero concern about the badges staying on.

They all had foam adhesive tape on the rear surface and so far all have held up without any issue, including all the small lettering. It's important to wipe the surface with something like isopropanol just beforehand as it prepares the surface & assists grip. I can't recall if the supplier includes small impregnated wipes because I already have a bottle of isopropyl & used that.
Agreed. In addition, people who are worried can use 3M Adhesion Promoter. I don't recommend it because you will not be able to reposition what you're attaching. The standard 3M tape takes 24 hours or more to fully cure so it's easy to make adjustments when you're putting things on.