Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Badge Blackout

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Morning all

Taking delivery of new MY this week and already doing the obligatory accessories shopping, as I did with the M3. Hoping the likes of my centre console trays fit the MY, can’t see why not but what I do want to do is blackout out the chrome Tesla badges front and rear. Obviously there’s an abundance of badge covers out there on the likes of Amazon etc and I’ve also looked at getting 3M vinyl and wrapping them but that means taking a blade near the car and I’m naturally nervous and reluctant about that.

Anyone used the badge covers? If so, do they stay put, which ones have you used?

I used Plastidip - simple to apply, fully and easily reversible and a much, much better look (IMHO) than the horrid clip-on covers which make the badges look 'clunky'....it's a cheap solution as well!

Lasted nearly 3 years on my 1st car (bottom pick) recently repeated on my current car (top pic).

20230110_113047.jpg
IMG_20210328_140137.jpg

Last edited:
Morning all

Taking delivery of new MY this week and already doing the obligatory accessories shopping, as I did with the M3. Hoping the likes of my centre console trays fit the MY, can’t see why not but what I do want to do is blackout out the chrome Tesla badges front and rear. Obviously there’s an abundance of badge covers out there on the likes of Amazon etc and I’ve also looked at getting 3M vinyl and wrapping them but that means taking a blade near the car and I’m naturally nervous and reluctant about that.

Anyone used the badge covers? If so, do they stay put, which ones have you used?
Centre console trays should fit fine, swapped mine across from an M3 to MY 👍

I’ve been pondering the black badges too. To match the blacked out look of the trim. But not settled on a solution yet. I’ve seen a couple with the rear T replaced with TESLA and that looks good too (photo off google for demonstration only).
IMG_7135.jpeg

I used Plastidip - simple to apply, fully and easily reversible and a much, much better look (IMHO) than the horrid clip-on covers which make the badges look 'clunky'....it's a cheap solution as well!

Lasted nearly 3 years on my 1st car (bottom pick) recently repeated on my current car (top pic).

View attachment 942155View attachment 942156
Looks good! How did you take the emblem off and put them back on again? I’m trying to decide if it’s worth the effort or not (for me).

Reactions: Bootneckshuffl

View attachment 942155View attachment 942156
That looks great mate. How hard was it to do?

Centre console trays should fit fine, swapped mine across from an M3 to MY 👍

I’ve been pondering the black badges too. To match the blacked out look of the trim. But not settled on a solution yet. I’ve seen a couple with the rear T replaced with TESLA and that looks good too (photo off google for demonstration only).View attachment 942157
My brother has just done this to his MY

I haven't done any logo-covers, but Abstract Ocean used to be regarded as good quality. I've had (for a previous MS) puddle-lights from them, and brighter boot lights

Abstract Ocean stuff, in my experience, is good quality, but these, to my eyes at least, show everything which is bad about clip over covers - there is just no avoiding adding significant bulk / clunkiness to the badge with this type of solution.

I used these (includes ‘dual motor’ lettering as well). The quality is very good and they look just like the original silver ones.

Firstly use masking take above/below the items to be removed & mark on the tape where the centres are so the new ones are correctly aligned.

Use fishing line to remove the old badges.

Clean up residual glue with isopropanol and something plastic like the edge of a credit card.

Apply the new logos & remove the masking tape.

The dual motor text is quite fiddly so it’s worth carefully marking the masking tape where the gaps are between each letter.

Reactions: Bootneckshuffl
IMG_5187.jpeg

I went for this change to mine. Wish I’d got it more central but looks good and I like it. This came with a foam cut out thing so everything was perfectly spaced.

Still not got round to the front T but I intend changing it for black one day. I warmed the rear up with a kettle of red hot, but not boiling water then peeled them off. Cleaned up with white spirit and the surface was ready for the new letters

I almost plastidipped, but in the end went for replacement badges. I've seen some caps in person and they looked nasty, imho. Very easy to fit replacement badges

Metal black front T from Emblems Only...
MicrosoftTeams-image (1).jpg

Rear TESLA lettering off Amazon and Dual Motor lettering from RPM Tesla when I was buying other stuff...
MicrosoftTeams-image (5).jpg

This is of course the objectively best looking placement! :) :)

Then for good measure some body matching door handle wraps...
MicrosoftTeams-image (3).jpg

And best of all some more old man real wood inside...
MicrosoftTeams-image (2).jpg

Now just need illuminated front and rear door sill strips and that new small instrument cluster display, but need to fix my broken Ali Express account for that.

Yes I'm sure most people would rather remove the existing wood than add more! But I love it - really don't like the standard grey plastic and I prefer this to other common alternatives like carbon fibre look or more alcantara.

I got it from RPM Tesla in the states. It's an excellent match to the factory wood (which is also real wood I was almost surprised to learn) and super easy to fit.

You can have even more wood, but I think that's enough for me! :)

I used these (includes ‘dual motor’ lettering as well). The quality is very good and they look just like the original silver ones.

Firstly use masking take above/below the items to be removed & mark on the tape where the centres are so the new ones are correctly aligned.

Clean up residual glue with isopropanol and something plastic like the edge of a credit card.

The dual motor text is quite fiddly so it’s worth carefully marking the masking tape where the gaps are between each letter.
Thanks Drew, looks like I’m gonna go down this direct replacement route for the best quality finish

Reactions: Drew57

Did you just go with the adhesive already applied to the emblems? I’m assuming it comes with adhesive or did you have to buy it separate mate? This is my worry, the adhesive not being as good as the OEM stuff