Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bah! Ran over a ladder and damaged the undercarriage.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m not sure what I ran over but I hit something on the freeway tonight. Was hard to tell what it was or if it was moving but I had no choice but to go over it as I didn’t even see it until it was too late. Definitely didn’t want to swerve as there were cars next to me and also didn’t want to try running it over. Can remember if I was using CC or AP or neither as I had just come through a section of construction and felt better steering.

Seems to be a large 10” hole or so under the car just past the front aero. Zoom in and you can see whatever I hit I hit so hard it broke in to the bottom part.

I was going 65 in the #2 lane and it was a pretty violent hit. Must have been a chunk of concrete or something. Immediately lost power and did my best to get over. Once I did I assessed all the red warnings and there were many related to 12v, power loss, possible ability to simply restart, and another one. Car wouldn’t move or go in to gear though. Got out and noticed all the fluids leaking out. Battery dropped from around 190 to 60 in less than 5 minutes. Then it trickled from 50-9 over the next 2 hours as I waited for a lift and took it to the nearest service center.

See how this plays out...

Attachments

• 5EFE0078-9753-40D2-8731-C6C34985D6F3.jpeg
    5EFE0078-9753-40D2-8731-C6C34985D6F3.jpeg
    333.8 KB · Views: 84
  • 4DF58C29-D74B-4336-AEFC-9F5238D14621.jpeg
    4DF58C29-D74B-4336-AEFC-9F5238D14621.jpeg
    225.1 KB · Views: 75
  • 28D7BEED-226A-430E-BEC4-B79CD1DA4631.jpeg
    28D7BEED-226A-430E-BEC4-B79CD1DA4631.jpeg
    320.1 KB · Views: 68
I’m not sure what I ran over but I hit something on the freeway tonight. Was hard to tell what it was or if it was moving but I had no choice but to go over it as I didn’t even see it until it was too late. Definitely didn’t want to swerve as there were cars next to me and also didn’t want to try running it over. Can remember if I was using CC or AP or neither as I had just come through a section of construction and felt better steering.

Seems to be a large 10” hole or so under the car just past the front aero. Zoom in and you can see whatever I hit I hit so hard it broke in to the bottom part.

I was going 65 in the #2 lane and it was a pretty violent hit. Must have been a chunk of concrete or something. Immediately lost power and did my best to get over. Once I did I assessed all the red warnings and there were many related to 12v, power loss, possible ability to simply restart, and another one. Car wouldn’t move or go in to gear though. Got out and noticed all the fluids leaking out. Battery dropped from around 190 to 60 in less than 5 minutes. Then it trickled from 50-9 over the next 2 hours as I waited for a lift and took it to the nearest service center.

See how this plays out...

Yikes, good luck. Unfortunately, the few other posts I have seen where the battery was leaking required a battery replacement.

Yikes, good luck. Unfortunately, the few other posts I have seen where the battery was leaking required a battery replacement.
Yep it may have cracked a coolant fitting that is part of the battery. In that case they replace the whole battery for $15k (+labor). I would request the old battery back since it’s worth over $10k on eBay. They’ll tell you no but from what I can tell they’re legally required to give it to you.

Reactions: MP3Mike
Yep it may have cracked a coolant fitting that is part of the battery. In that case they replace the whole battery for $15k (+labor). I would request the old battery back since it’s worth over $10k on eBay. They’ll tell you no but from what I can tell they’re legally required to give it to you.

Interesting. Will know more in a couple days. Keep you all posted.