Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Balancing Battery Charge and Tire Warm-Up on the Track

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey everyone, I'm curious about how you all balance battery charge and tire warm-up on the track. Currently, I'm running A052 tires, and at 20 degrees Celsius ambient temperature, the initial tire pressure is 2.05 bar. It takes quite a while to warm the tires up to 2.3 bar (at which point the tire temperature should be close to 60 degrees Celsius), but warming up the tires also consumes battery charge.

So, I have some questions regarding tire warm-up methods for the Model 3:
  1. Should I warm the brake discs with braking and then transfer the heat to the tires? Would setting regenerative braking to a low level be more effective in this case, or would it result in significant energy loss every time I decelerate?
  2. Is it feasible to warm the tires by swinging the car from side to side with regenerative braking set to 100% and minimal brake application?
  3. Would briefly applying heavy throttle to induce rear-wheel slip be a viable option? Obviously, this would also consume battery charge. Is it worthwhile?
  4. Would setting stability control to -10 be more conducive to tire slip? How about handling balance settings?

How large / fast is your track? My tighter 1.7-mile circuit only used about 1.5% per lap in Chill Mode.

And, pointedly, I’d run a slower lap or two to save battery. Additional lateral motion is probably the most efficient way to warm up the tires beyond just running the course.

It takes quite a while to warm the tires up to 2.3 bar (at which point the tire temperature should be close to 60 degrees Celsius), but warming up the tires also consumes battery charge.
So, I have some questions regarding tire warm-up methods for the Model 3

Tire warm-up is a by-product of driving.
Unless you are competing for money or glory, there is no point in putting any extra effort into tire warm up. Your first few laps on track during a DE event should be invested into warming up your brain and remembering the layout / braking points instead.

a

Reactions: Lindenwood