Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bass off on new M3P

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just picked up my new 2021 M3P and I’m having issues with the sound. On the drive home I kept hearing a boomy bass rattle and assumed it was someone next to me. I later determined it was coming from my car. I was listening to a Spotify 80’s list at low volume with nothing that should have caused it. I check the setting and they were all at the center defaults. The only way I could lessen it was too turn the bass down but even with it all the way down it would still do it just not as often. The 2018 Model 3 Long range I traded never did anything remotely like this. Anyone else experience this?

My new 2021 LR M3 has the same thing going on. No idea if it is supposed to be happening. I do have an appt with the SC on the 13th to let them have a look at that along with a few other minor things. Let me know if you find anything out before then!

I just picked up my new 2021 M3P and I’m having issues with the sound. On the drive home I kept hearing a boomy bass rattle and assumed it was someone next to me. I later determined it was coming from my car. I was listening to a Spotify 80’s list at low volume with nothing that should have caused it. I check the setting and they were all at the center defaults. The only way I could lessen it was too turn the bass down but even with it all the way down it would still do it just not as often. The 2018 Model 3 Long range I traded never did anything remotely like this. Anyone else experience this?
Set up an SC appointment asap, then try to figure out what it is. Might just be a loose clip or something like that.
Reason for SC appointment is just so they can see that you reported it while the car was brand new.

Is is a really low frequency sound? Like when a car near yours is playing loud bass sounds? I was eating lunch in my '21 M3P yesterday and it happened a couple of times. I had no music on. Equalizer is set to center defaults. Each time I looked around outside the car and did not see another car.

What happens when you turn audio off completely?

As I mentioned I have the exact same noise. I don't actually think it's coming from the sound system, even though it sounds very much like a loud subwoofer test tone. I think it is some kind of pump noise from the front of the car. It happens to me with the sound system on or off, and with the heat pump/ac on or off. It is most pronounced when the car is in Park for me, but sometimes also happens when driving. I've had times where the noise went off several times in a span of 2-3 minutes. It is like a 1-2 second pulse of low frequency from the front of the car.

I won't know for sure until my SC appt next week, but if I had to guess it's one the pumps that warm up the batteries or similar engaging, but something isn't tightened all the way down causing a vibration through the chassis.