Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Brand new 2024 Model X range after charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello All - I just picked up my 2024 MX on Monday had it set to percentage range by default but just to take a look at miles I switched it. I noticed at 80% charge I am getting 257 miles and at 100% it's 322. It's less than what EPA Tesla advertised range is. At 100% on a brand new MX I'd expect to see the 335 and at 80% should be around 270. I had a 2021 MS prior to this and I believe from day 1 it was pretty much spot on. Is this normal range on a brand new MX? Anyone else with a new MX that can share what they are seeing?

If you're worried about your battery, sign up for a free account to monitor your battery. Recurrent | Buy, Drive & Sell Electric Cars, Positively | EV Battery Reports

This is a part of my report for '24 Plaid with 1,400 miles, 20" wheels.

1711759904732.png

1711759851406.png

Hello All - I just picked up my 2024 MX on Monday had it set to percentage range by default but just to take a look at miles I switched it. I noticed at 80% charge I am getting 257 miles and at 100% it's 322. It's less than what EPA Tesla advertised range is. At 100% on a brand new MX I'd expect to see the 335 and at 80% should be around 270. I had a 2021 MS prior to this and I believe from day 1 it was pretty much spot on. Is this normal range on a brand new MX? Anyone else with a new MX that can share what they are seeing?

I literally just made a similar post. I just took delivery of a new Model X on 3-29. They had it set to charge %. At 80% I show 256 miles.

This is my 5th Tesla and all the prior ones were 100% estimated when new. My 4 year old x I just traded was 97%.

Something is definitely fishy from Tesla. Sales is saying you should never have it on estimated mileage as that is just an estimate and not reality….duh. Service is saying estimated mileage is based on driving habits…that’s BS car only has 31 miles.

Keep me posted as I will you. I have a service ticket on mine and would suggest you do the same. The App will reject a ticket…you will have to have your local shop initiate one. It would be more beneficial to have multiple tickets on this.

We may find that Tesla is about to change the range estimate or has and simply has not communicated, which is fraudulent in my opinion if in fact that is what happens.

Reactions: Mucall
Range is an ESTIMATE. It's not BS, it's not fraud, it's not any of those things. It is an ESTIMATE. Range estimates can be based on SO many things... weather, temp, wind, tires, driving style, charging condition, battery temp when charging, battery temp when done charging, cell balance, etc. etc. etc. etc. This isn't hard and fast. The range on an ICE vehicle wasn't a fix number either.

Could you have a bad battery pack, sure. It's possible. But if you did, frankly you probably wouldn't know it for a little while longer. The car has a 8 year battery warranty. I am going to bet that none of us still have the car we have right now in 8 years to worry about the battery health. So drive the car, enjoy it, don't stress.

It’s not a bad pack, it’s software. Similar complaints with the model S plaid, check their forums. It’s a 2024 thing, likely to get fixed unless indeed Tesla decided to make their estimates a bit more realistic, but then they should update the official spec and EPA too. You car has not dropped in range and your battery is fine, user sorka dug deeper into this than most of you, look up his posts on the issue.

Tesla Fi indicates 322 for my 2024 Model X. I am also getting 255 to 256 at 80%.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I was told years ago that the mileage displayed by the battery icon is essentially a MATH FORMULA. Tesla takes the pack's VOLTAGE and multiplies it by some FIXED number that was agreed upon with the EPA. That number is FIXED the only thing that changes over time is the pack's voltage. So you are essentially measuring the pack's DEGRADATION not how far you can drive at any one moment in time.

If you want data closer to reality use the Energy Screen data.

Well the question is then why is that FIXED number (assuming this formula was and is still used) does not correspond to the EPA rated range which Tesla puts on their site when applied to the voltage from a brand new battery pack. I’d think it should match and I understand why people are concerned since how would they know if the fixed constant is wrong vs their voltage has dropped already.

the pack's VOLTAGE and multiplies it by some FIXED number
It's not as simplistic as simply the voltage. It is the car trying to get a really good estimate of how much actual energy is available in there. And it uses a few methods and factors to try to keep track of that.
Well the question is then why is that FIXED number (assuming this formula was and is still used) does not correspond to the EPA rated range which Tesla puts on their site when applied to the voltage from a brand new battery pack.
It's not the fixed efficiency constant that's getting off. That does correspond to how the EPA tests were done originally. It's the car's estimation of energy within the pack that can get fooled and fuzzy and inaccurate over time.

The algorithm recently changed behind miles displayed. There is nothing wrong with your cars. It used to be a fixed number and then would drop like a rock while driving. Now it is a real time number always. Even new, let’s say battery capacity is 100kw. First mile test driver floors it around test track and usage is 900kw/mi, BMS is going to extrapolate and update mileage. You can use Teslogic or scan my Tesla to see BMS data on pack capacity new and current.

The algorithm recently changed behind miles displayed. There is nothing wrong with your cars. It used to be a fixed number and then would drop like a rock while driving. Now it is a real time number always. Even new, let’s say battery capacity is 100kw. First mile test driver floors it around test track and usage is 900kw/mi, BMS is going to extrapolate and update mileage.
I don't think any of that is true. That would be a massive fundamental change of paradigm that I can't see Tesla making. What you are talking about is a "Guess-O-Meter", and many other car brands do that, but Tesla very noticeably is one of the very few companies that doesn't do that, and uses a fixed ratio, rather than a weirdly shifting efficiency factor based on recent driving behavior.

They do provide that kind of measure elsewhere if you pull up the Energy screen and it will show a projection of an estimated number of real miles left based on the car's recent 5, 15, or 30 miles of consumption figures. But for the simple number in the battery icon, that's supposed to be a fuel gauge, so it's intended to be more steadily depleting instead of jumping up and down by how people drive.

Not a guess o meter, that was the old way with the fixed variable (yes an oxymoron) mentioned above. You can blame the EPA for the change in their methodology which caused Tesla to update the formula for model year 2024.
If you have been driving tesla cars for a while, you would notice the 100% to 50% dropped fast and 50% to zero was more measured after the BMS calculations had extrapolated.
Last year a drive in a cold tesla a half mile down the road and see it drop from 100% to 96% as an example. The calculations have improved to be more realistic based on usage throughout the range.
Bottom line is whether pack holds the advertised energy which can be verified by several third party apps. If you don't want to pay for those, you can supercharge from low SOC and notice the billing is gross energy, but the updated charging screen shows how much actually went into the battery vs what was lost to overhead.

Not a guess o meter, that was the old way with the fixed variable (yes an oxymoron) mentioned above. You can blame the EPA for the change in their methodology which caused Tesla to update the formula for model year 2024.
No, neither of these is that. Tesla never has and still doesn't use the Guess-O-Meter methodology.

That is what other brands use, where the main number of supposed "miles" on the fuel gauge is a shifting projection based on a continually updating efficiency factor based on how the car has been recently driven. Tesla doesn't do that. They used one conversion constant. Yes, there was a change in the EPA method, which made Tesla change their constant factor, but it still isn't based on someone's recent driving history.

If you want data closer to reality use the Energy Screen data.

You 3/Y drivers make me laugh. You assume, and rightly so, Tesla uses the same software on the refreshed S/X cars the 3/Y have, but NOOO. We 2022+ S/Xs don't get an energy screen with the 5/15/30 range and usage chart. Nope. The old S/X have it and the refresh had it left over with having to use voice commands to bring it up in initial versions of the code. But that was removed also over a year ago.

Miss it and friends M3P having it still just shows how STUPID some decisions are at that company. WHY CAN'T THE S/X HAVE THAT SCREEN ALSO TESLA? Just makes me mad thinking about it...

Reactions: towndrunk
You 3/Y drivers make me laugh. You assume, and rightly so, Tesla uses the same software on the refreshed S/X cars the 3/Y have, but NOOO. We 2022+ S/Xs don't get an energy screen with the 5/15/30 range and usage chart. Nope. The old S/X have it and the refresh had it left over with having to use voice commands to bring it up in initial versions of the code. But that was removed also over a year ago.

Miss it and friends M3P having it still just shows how STUPID some decisions are at that company. WHY CAN'T THE S/X HAVE THAT SCREEN ALSO TESLA? Just makes me mad thinking about it...

If anything, we should have all that and more. We have a larger screen to fill.