Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery and Drive Unit Warranties ending soon. What next?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all, my 2016 Model S P90D drive unit and battery warranties are ending in May 2024.

I was just wondering if anyone here has found a way to extend the battery warranty either with Tesla or a 3rd party in Japan?

I looked at possibly trading in my car with Tesla for something newer almost 1 year ago. At that time they offered 2,180,000円. It will undoubtedly be less now.

I'm happy to hold on to the Model S. Despite it being dated on Tesla features both software and hardware, it's still a very capable car.

I'm just concerned of the battery failing on me in the future and being left with a large bill to replace it.

Any advice is much appreciated.

Reactions: hiroshiy
I drove my 2014 P85+ for 8 ½ years and faced the same place you are at. I decided to get a new car and waited 2+ for a Plaid MS, only to find out they would be LHD. I chose to get a MYLR. Kinda bummed I couldn’t get the car I wanted, but after a major road trip with my MY I learned I made the right choice. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Reactions: hiroshiy and Aganan
Hi all, my 2016 Model S P90D drive unit and battery warranties are ending in May 2024.

I was just wondering if anyone here has found a way to extend the battery warranty either with Tesla or a 3rd party in Japan?

I looked at possibly trading in my car with Tesla for something newer almost 1 year ago. At that time they offered 2,180,000円. It will undoubtedly be less now.

I'm happy to hold on to the Model S. Despite it being dated on Tesla features both software and hardware, it's still a very capable car.

I'm just concerned of the battery failing on me in the future and being left with a large bill to replace it.

Any advice is much appreciated.
If you like the car, and don't mind to spend about 3,306,732 yen when the time comes for a new battery, then keep it.

If you get a new Model S, you probably looking at paying the full price of a new car. Or, you can sell your existing Model S, and use the money to offsett the new car price.

Do the math. If the value of trading it in for new one makes sense to you, do it. Or, if you rather spend the amount for a new battery instead of the new car, then, go for it. Just keep in mind that the 2016 Model Car, you will also need to add the costs of other maintenance items that are out of warranty as well like suspensions. So, having a new car might be more justifiable considering the costs of maintaining the suspension out of warranty.

Reactions: hiroshiy and Aganan
I decided to keep my 2014 Model S even after the warranty expired. I have had one out of warranty repair when the battery heater failed. They were able to remove and open the battery and replace the heater and a couple of coolant pipe junctions which they told me were starting to ’weep’, total cost was AU$2,500.
So to some extent batteries can be repaired rather than replaced.
Worst case scenario a new battery is Au$27,000 and a new rear drive unit is Au$10,000 I understand. If either of these failed, I would replace them and add a couple of years to my ownership. If nothing major goes wrong I will probably keep it until it’s about 15 or if they make RHD Model S available again.

I drove my 2014 P85+ for 8 ½ years and faced the same place you are at. I decided to get a new car and waited 2+ for a Plaid MS, only to find out they would be LHD. I chose to get a MYLR. Kinda bummed I couldn’t get the car I wanted, but after a major road trip with my MY I learned I made the right choice. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.
Thanks for the reply. I'd be interested to know what made you feel the MY was the right choice over the Plaid MS, aside from having RHD ofcourse.

If you like the car, and don't mind to spend about 3,306,732 yen when the time comes for a new battery, then keep it.

If you get a new Model S, you probably looking at paying the full price of a new car. Or, you can sell your existing Model S, and use the money to offsett the new car price.

Do the math. If the value of trading it in for new one makes sense to you, do it. Or, if you rather spend the amount for a new battery instead of the new car, then, go for it. Just keep in mind that the 2016 Model Car, you will also need to add the costs of other maintenance items that are out of warranty as well like suspensions. So, having a new car might be more justifiable considering the costs of maintaining the suspension out of warranty.
Thanks for the reply. Where did you get that price from for a new battery? That price is getting close to 2nd hand Model 3 territory.

Given the choice to pay for an expensive repair and keep the Model S or pay for a new or 2nd hand vehicle from Tesla with warranties, I'd choose the latter.

I really wanted a MS, but there are too many disadvantages with a LHD. I think Tesla made the wrong decision to build only LHD. I’ll never buy MX, and M3 is too cramped. MY was the only choice I could make.
I test-drove the MY down in Tokyo once and sat in the highland/refreshed M3 which I liked. Not sure when we will see a refreshed MY but that would probably be my preference if I went down the brand new route. I do like the MX but I'm just a sucker for those doors, the 3rd-row seats in the MX are just a tad small for full-grown adults.

The dealership in Sendai invited me to a test drive event next month. I'll hopefully get an updated trade-in quote for my MS too.

Reactions: hiroshiy
I just wanted to add that I asked my local Tesla Dealer what the cost would be and they came back with 2,300,000 yen for the HV battery and 2,000,000 yen for the drive unit.

Hi, I can't believe the drive unit costs so much! I had a warranty replacement of the MX rear motor, and the invoice was like this. The rear motor assembly itself costs around 900,000 yen.

1707964064081.png

Reactions: Aganan
Hi, I can't believe the drive unit costs so much! I had a warranty replacement of the MX rear motor, and the invoice was like this. The rear motor assembly itself costs around 900,000 yen.

View attachment 1018450
Hi Hiroshiy, thanks for sharing this. I was surprised at the price too. Yours seems a lot more reasonable. :D Maybe Tesla is just trying to scare me into purchasing a newer model.