Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery calibration

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Car (MSP) has 5500+ miles, my "vehicle standby drain" started to ramp up and its probably because car was never at 100% and <15% SoC which is causing BMS confusion.

What are guidelines:

Charge to 100 SoC (or should i drain it to single digits 1st before 100%SoC?)
Drain <5%
Recharge to any SoC or back to 100%?

Can I drain it in few days without charging or should it be done in single ride/day?

Thanks

Last edited:
I think the same results will be obtained by charging to 90% and then recharge at 15%, and the interval time shouldn't matter. This gives a good range for recalibration. My feeling is why do this recalibration. It will eventually happen over time, and does not change anything but make you feel better when the battery SHOWS more range. Only possible benefit I can see is if your battery fails, Tesla may use the range number to replace your old battery with one of similar range.

Reactions: zivac87
I think the same results will be obtained by charging to 90% and then recharge at 15%, and the interval time shouldn't matter. This gives a good range for recalibration. My feeling is why do this recalibration. It will eventually happen over time, and does not change anything but make you feel better when the battery SHOWS more range. Only possible benefit I can see is if your battery fails, Tesla may use the range number to replace your old battery with one of similar range.
I agree you don’t have to drain so low. But you want to leave it low for a few hours. I would NOT drain below 10% and leave it for more than a few hours. But to fully calibrate you want to go to 100%. Just don’t leave it at 100% for long.

I agree you don’t have to drain so low. But you want to leave it low for a few hours. I would NOT drain below 10% and leave it for more than a few hours. But to fully calibrate you want to go to 100%. Just don’t leave it at 100% for long.
So you suggest i drain it to 10% for 2-3 hours max, then to charge back to 100%. Or should I first charge to 90, drop to 10 then charge up to 100? Do i need to stay at 100 for few hours as well or I can start draining it immediatelly when it reaches full SoC?