Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery Charging Conflict - Owners Manual vs. Service Tech

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Had my Tesla Y for 2 months. Is not a daily driver. Set charge max at 76%. I leave it plugged in unless driving. I talk with a Tesla Service Tech who told me his cousin and uncle both purchased Model 3's. Cousin charges to 90% and only plugs in when battery gets down to 10%. Uncle charges to 80% and leaves it plugged in when not driving. After 4 years uncle had lost 25 miles of battery of battery power. Cousin has not lost any battery power miles. Service tech told me this is why you do not want to be charging your battery all the time. Tesla manual says to leave it plugged in when not driving. Service Tech said to ignore what the manual says. What should I do charging wise????

Had my Tesla Y for 2 months. Is not a daily driver. Set charge max at 76%. I leave it plugged in unless driving. I talk with a Tesla Service Tech who told me his cousin and uncle both purchased Model 3's. Cousin charges to 90% and only plugs in when battery gets down to 10%. Uncle charges to 80% and leaves it plugged in when not driving. After 4 years uncle had lost 25 miles of battery of battery power. Cousin has not lost any battery power miles. Service tech told me this is why you do not want to be charging your battery all the time. Tesla manual says to leave it plugged in when not driving. Service Tech said to ignore what the manual says. What should I do charging wise????
First you have far too small a sample to draw conclusions. Second after 4years 25 mile loss is so small that It could be down to wearher or who knows what. The general rule, for almost all cases, is charge to 70% or less and recharge as often as you want. Sure there are some tests that show for the utmost life you should do xxx but come on .. it’s a car .. it’s going to get dinged on the paintwork, wear In the moving parts etc etc. Charge it to 70% every day and enjoy it with no worries … I’ve been doing that for 3 years and have so little range loss it makes no difference at all to my driving fun or practical range. Don’t obsess over it!!1

if Testa put a brake pad wear meter on the dash people would freak out over just the right way to brake to minimize loss .. sure the battery is expensive and worth some level of care, but you know the basic rules .. only charge to 100% when you need to, otherwise relax and enjoy :)

Reactions: Acps110
Upvote 0