Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery degradation on Model 3 - only with long range battery pack

How many miles on your LR/AWD/P Model 3 and what degree of battery degradation do you have?

• Battery degradation between 1% and 2% (4-6 miles of range lost)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

dfwatt

Best Car Ever
Sep 24, 2018
FL
This thread could constitute some critical data collection and service to the community.

Please make just two choices – indicating your range of mileage and your degree of battery degradation and lost range.

Please also if you can provide information on how much you supercharge and what you typically observe in terms of lowest battery state of charge on trips and highest as well. In other words do you let the battery run down under 5%? Do you supercharge to 100%? I'm assuming that most individuals who are doing around town virtually never exceed 90%, but do try to provide details on your charging habits.

All that helps give context to the data collected. Depending on what I collect I'll probably do another poll for folks with standard range and standard range plus batteries – sorry if this poll leaves some of you guys out! just trying to start with the most popular sized 75 kW battery pack! Also, if somebody has outlier degradation not captured in the poll choices, please select the closest applicable choice.

In terms of our own use parameters, I would estimate that roughly a third of our mileage is supercharging, and since we have unlimited free supercharging, we will use superchargers to 90% if they're available. Unfortunately except on trips they're not in our two locations. I put in the data for my car but my wife's car which has more miles and more time at superchargers has lost about 1% of range at 12,000 miles

THANKS in advance!

Last edited:
65% SoC weekdays (which drops to 45% when i return home after work)

80-90% on weekends, depending if I need the range. This helps keep the cells balanced and no range skewing. Charging is timed at night so it doesn't charge when the car is still hot, and SoC doesn't sit at a high number all night.

Charging to 90% daily if the range isn't needed is stressing the battery excessively (about 5x more than at 50% SoC, so I like to avoid it unless its needed). I picked 65% as my weekday target because the car is at 55% or so when I get to work, which is very close to neutral.

Range dropped when it was under 1,000 miles because firmware update removed the 325 range and reverted to 310 temporally.

I've supercharged 10 times for a total of 326 kWh
171 home charges for a total of 2,157 kWh

iJZT6L4.png

Last edited:
Reactions: dfwatt
Maybe we should look at those people who show no deg to see if there's any commonality?

I have zero deg, according to Stats, I Supercharge only once in a blue moon, and never Supercharge beyond what I need to get to the next stop, in other words, I've never Supercharged to 100%. I did charge once to 100% on an L2 charger by mistake. Lowest SOC%? Zero. It came home delivery with zero SOC%. The driver says he loaded it that way, in the morning in December, and I got it in the evening. Yep, zero. Since he couldn't bring it to my house, we had to go to a Supercharger. Seems to be okay.

The lowest besides zero? I've driven it down to 7% SOC, and typically will plan trips around 10 to 15% for recharging.

Here's my latest Stats data:
IMG_3609.jpg

I got it in the Winter, and set my charge limit at 90%. Then when it started to warm up, I set my charge limit back to 80%. That's when you see my range estimate improve. Ever since, my estimates have always been between 306 and 314 miles. When I had it set to 90% my estimates could be as low as 290. It doesn't show on the above, since I lost my early data.

Citation required

Huge ass thread on this forum about it. I don't have the link handy, but this is the chart referenced.

I mean, we all know 100% is bad. But people act all surprised that 90% isn't so great either. Duh. It's not a binary option, it's an exponential curve.

*Note that if you're in a cold location, 90% is not a big deal, but if you have anything north of 70+ degrees, it is pretty harsh on the battery.

5v8jqIQ.png

Huge ass thread on this forum about it. I don't have the link handy, but this is the chart referenced.

I mean, we all know 100% is bad. But people act all surprised that 90% isn't so great either. Duh. It's not a binary option, it's an exponential curve.

*Note that if you're in a cold location, 90% is not a big deal, but if you have anything north of 70+ degrees, it is pretty harsh on the battery.

5v8jqIQ.png
I was more interested in what "5x worse" means. I've seen the threads. There are charts that show 50-60-70-80-90 shows marginal increases in longevity over a ton of cycles. Certainly nothing that suggests any kind of 5x worseness multiplier from 50-90.

Reactions: dfwatt