Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are you still on the original battery pack with your 2012-2015 Model S?

Are you still on the original battery pack with your 2012-2015 Model S?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is all great information for us lucky ones still with original batteries in 2012-2015 vehicles. It would be helpful to build a spreadsheet including the month&year delivered, battery size & Revision(from battery sticker), current range and mileage.
If you had a failure and replaced or repaired the original battery, note that as well and the mileage at failure.
I have a 2014 S 85, 126,000 miles, Rev E battery, current rated range of 247 miles(less than 7% degradation), 35% supercharging(DC) based on SMT data.
Where did you get those stats? TESSIE or some other software?

2015 S70 90k miles Original Battery. 204 on GOM if do 100% charge. I think I got 232 new. Tessie said the Bat was 10% degraded. Mostly Supercharger in early years but now home charged at 40amps (9.6kW) and work charged at 30A (7.2kW or 3.6 kW depending on whether I'm sharing the station).

2016 S100D 80k miles Mostly supercharge. 100% = 302 on GOM. If I drive 70 on flat land without high heat or hills I get that at about 290wh/mile. I usually drive 79 on mostly flat land and use about 330wh/mile. I charge to 20% over my needed miles to the next charger and rarely have to slow down or draft on a semi but I have low "range anxiety" and occasionally arrive with 9 miles left on GOM.

One person commented that they "only" got 150 kw while charging. The older cars were good to get 1.5C and our 2016 will only take 150 kW for a little bit IF it's pretty discharged. It will drop below 100kW once SOC is over 50%. We usually run 150-200 miles per between super chargers so our sweet spot is charge from 10% to 60-70% then get on the road. Of course it helps that both our cars have FUSC!

Reactions: Ciaopec
Where did you get those stats? TESSIE or some other software?

2015 S70 90k miles Original Battery. 204 on GOM if do 100% charge. I think I got 232 new. Tessie said the Bat was 10% degraded. Mostly Supercharger in early years but now home charged at 40amps (9.6kW) and work charged at 30A (7.2kW or 3.6 kW depending on whether I'm sharing the station).

2016 S100D 80k miles Mostly supercharge. 100% = 302 on GOM. If I drive 70 on flat land without high heat or hills I get that at about 290wh/mile. I usually drive 79 on mostly flat land and use about 330wh/mile. I charge to 20% over my needed miles to the next charger and rarely have to slow down or draft on a semi but I have low "range anxiety" and occasionally arrive with 9 miles left on GOM.

One person commented that they "only" got 150 kw while charging. The older cars were good to get 1.5C and our 2016 will only take 150 kW for a little bit IF it's pretty discharged. It will drop below 100kW once SOC is over 50%. We usually run 150-200 miles per between super chargers so our sweet spot is charge from 10% to 60-70% then get on the road. Of course it helps that both our cars have FUSC!
I use ScanMyTesla with the OBDLink+ scan module for battery stats -
Cell voltage imbalance
CAC imbalance
DC charge total
AC charge total

I use ScanMyTesla with the OBDLink+ scan module for battery stats -
Cell voltage imbalance
CAC imbalance
DC charge total
AC charge total
I am the founder/sole administrator of BMS_u29/018 Facebook. Scan My Tesla is heavily used by our 2000+ members as an owner's tool to either check their health of a current good pack or failed pack. The Group is fortunate to have the developer, Amund from Norway as a member of the Group. Recently he shared some info that might be useful to this conversation:

"I am realizing there is a lot of interest for Scan My Tesla in this group. I appreciate the support, and want to fix some issues I have been made aware of. I will roll out some updates to improve the situation for you. The backstory is that I added the CAC values when I stumbled upon them, but was never sure they were neither useful nor correct. I did not see any interest from any users, until I was invited to this group, so it was not added to the classic Android app properly (I believe it's there for Model 3, but not Model S).
1. Add Model S/X CAC to the 'classic' Android app. Until the fix is out - use the beta version
2. Add CAC to the BMS tab. Some users struggle with getting CAC to show in the Battery tab. I believe these have slower bluetooth adapters, where the slower CAC signals drown in other data, and might never reach the app. The BMS tab only recieves 1 slow signal, so CAC should make it just fine along with the cell voltages. Workaround is to use the graphical CAC/Cell balance dashboard
3. Fix for Model 3/Y/Plaid CAC signals. These broke in a firmware update a while ago, but I have found the new way to interpret them after a lot of hard work, probably the most time I've ever spent on 3 signals. Not directly relevant to u029/u018, but now that you know the value of the CAC readings, the newer cars will also need it as they age.
PS. The IOS app will not have any of these problems, but it will still inherit the addition of CAC to the BMS tab. I also have a re(tro)-designed BMS tab in the pipeline, so the new apps will get a similar heatmap of cell voltages as the classic app."

• Informative
Reactions: aerodyne and iCAR
You can take me off the 'Yes' vote. Just received the BMS_u029 error on my 2015 S 85D at 215k miles.

Tesla's quoted $15k for a refurb 85 battery with their 4yr 50k mile warranty so I'm getting that done this week.
Did you have any warning signs prior to your failure?
How much degradation did your original battery have prior to the failure?
What did Tesla guarantee for capacity on the refurb pack?

Did you have any warning signs prior to your failure?
How much degradation did your original battery have prior to the failure?
What did Tesla guarantee for capacity on the refurb pack?
I'm picking it up today.

No warning signs or messages popped up beforehand. I commute a lot and charge almost entirely at home.

Degradation? Not sure, I hadn't checked it out but there was degradation for sure.

The invoice shows: ASY,HV BATT,85D,REMANUFACTURED,MDLS(1069777-02-A)

I'm picking it up today.

No warning signs or messages popped up beforehand. I commute a lot and charge almost entirely at home.

Degradation? Not sure, I hadn't checked it out but there was degradation for sure.

The invoice shows: ASY,HV BATT,85D,REMANUFACTURED,MDLS(1069777-02-A)
Recommend you take a pic of your pack label after you pick up. I know two cases when Tesla installed the wrong replacement pack. One in NorCal installed reman 70kWh when owner paid for new 85kwh. The other in SoCal with similar story.

My 2015 had 178,000 miles on it with the battery warranty expiring Dec 3 2023. Two weeks before the expiration date, my batteries failed (range went from 190 miles to 50 all of a sudden). I immediately scheduled service. They honored the warranty even though they weren't able to replace the HV batteries until mid December. Now I get somewhere in the vicinity of 230 miles.

My 2015 had 178,000 miles on it with the battery warranty expiring Dec 3 2023. Two weeks before the expiration date, my batteries failed (range went from 190 miles to 50 all of a sudden). I immediately scheduled service. They honored the warranty even though they weren't able to replace the HV batteries until mid December. Now I get somewhere in the vicinity of 230 miles.
Did you get a reman or new pack? Because 230 miles was the full rated miles for an original S70 when new. So whatever you got, that's pretty good.

They were not new. The invoice says "BATT,70KWH,REMANUFACTURED,MDLS(1069504-01-E)

I'll start by saying that it's unfortunate that battery capacity is usually discussed in terms of range (which is what I am guilty of in my post), since that depends so much on other factors. We really should be talking about kwh. I drive very efficiently (others would use the word "boring"). I have averaged 256 w/mile for the 30,000 miles I have owned it. I imagine that most average about 300 w/mile.

I have estimated that my "new" batteries have about 59 or 60 kwh of use. Whether I should compare that with 70 kwh (it's a 2015 S 70) or 66.5 kwh (somewhere I read that that is the true amount that can be accessed), it represents somewhere between 85% and 90% of what a new battery would have. As I understood the warranty, they were not guaranteeing original range. They were guaranteeing range subject to the miles and/or age of my car. I was expecting a used battery pack with range about 80% of a new one.

They were not new. The invoice says "BATT,70KWH,REMANUFACTURED,MDLS(1069504-01-E)

I'll start by saying that it's unfortunate that battery capacity is usually discussed in terms of range (which is what I am guilty of in my post), since that depends so much on other factors. We really should be talking about kwh. I drive very efficiently (others would use the word "boring"). I have averaged 256 w/mile for the 30,000 miles I have owned it. I imagine that most average about 300 w/mile.

I have estimated that my "new" batteries have about 59 or 60 kwh of use. Whether I should compare that with 70 kwh (it's a 2015 S 70) or 66.5 kwh (somewhere I read that that is the true amount that can be accessed), it represents somewhere between 85% and 90% of what a new battery would have. As I understood the warranty, they were not guaranteeing original range. They were guaranteeing range subject to the miles and/or age of my car. I was expecting a used battery pack with range about 80% of a new one.
There is an easy way to get a very good estimate of your battery kWh. It is a sticky thread in the M3 battery and charging forum.
Maybe that is how you got your estimate, but if not, you could check that out.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll post a pic of the battery label sometime this week.
It looks like it matches with what was on the invoice.

Attachments

• BattLabel.JPG
    BattLabel.JPG
    35.9 KB · Views: 26
It says reman, 400V on the top of the sticker. I take it that means charging speed will be throttled if I supercharge it?
400v does not mean your charging speed will be throttled.

Based on the pic of your out of warranty replacement pack, you have a new (2015) pack. You ordered and paid for a reman.

You have a pack that's been sitting around for almost 9 years. At least you have a 4 year/50k mile Tesla Warranty.

Last edited:
400v does not mean your charging speed will be throttled.

Based on the pic of your out of warranty replacement pack, you have a new (2015) pack. You ordered and paid for a reman.

You have a pack that's been sitting around for almost 9 years. At least you have a 4 year/50k mile Tesla Warranty.
9 years! Doh