Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery Degradation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,

I have a 2022 Model 3 Long Range (Dual Motor). I bought the car new, 12 months ago and currently have 22,300 miles on it. I remember reading somewhere that the car is supposed to have a 82Kwh battery pack. I did the energy app calculation and I’m only seeing 71Kwh. I’ve read that I should expect a 3-5% drop the first year but this would be a 14% drop. Should I be concerned? I have attached a photo of the energy app for reference.
BEE5277A-4E9E-490C-A8A2-55E62F0E6CE5.jpeg

Hello,

I have a 2022 Model 3 Long Range (Dual Motor). I bought the car new, 12 months ago and currently have 22,300 miles on it. I remember reading somewhere that the car is supposed to have a 82Kwh battery pack. I did the energy app calculation and I’m only seeing 71Kwh. I’ve read that I should expect a 3-5% drop the first year but this would be a 14% drop. Should I be concerned? I have attached a photo of the energy app for reference.View attachment 918534
Totally normal. You probably started around 79 or 80kWh. (And definitely not above 81kWh.)

There could be small error on the 71.4kWh estimate. Maybe it is actually as high as 73kWh.

But in any case about 10% is normal, and it gets hot in Sacramento. Keep that SOC below 55% if you can, and it is convenient.

But mostly don’t worry about it, and expect it to keep going down, more slowly. It is part of EV ownership!

Reactions: AAKEE
Hello,

I have a 2022 Model 3 Long Range (Dual Motor). I bought the car new, 12 months ago and currently have 22,300 miles on it. I remember reading somewhere that the car is supposed to have a 82Kwh battery pack. I did the energy app calculation and I’m only seeing 71Kwh. I’ve read that I should expect a 3-5% drop the first year but this would be a 14% drop. Should I be concerned? I have attached a photo of the energy app for reference.View attachment 918534
It seems about normal or slightly on tbe high side, but as @AlanSubie4Life said, high tempersture increase the degradation.
I looked up Sacramento annual temperatures and it looks really hot!

Calendar aging is higher initially and reduces quite fast. For calculations, ”square root of time” often is used, meaning that to double the degradation from a certain point you need four times more time.
For the future degradation of your car, it will be much slower than the first year.

I would guess that you so far usually have charged to 80-90% ?

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Thank you! I knew the first year was supposed to be the biggest drop, I just didn’t know it would drop that much. I’m glad it’s in the typical range.

I usually charge to 80% or 90% since I only have level 1 charging at home. But I’ll try not charging as much and maybe stop by a supercharger if I really need extra range (I have 2 within a mile of my house).

Sacramento summers can get HOT! We hit 116 degrees this past summer. But the temperature has a drastic spike mid day so it’s not too bad most of the day. A 100 degree day usually starts at about 50 degrees and will only hit 80+ degrees for about 4hrs.

Reactions: AAKEE