Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed M3LR at 78kWh Capacity

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I didn't normally check battery capacity of my past M3SR+, but since I just picked up a refreshed M3LR a couple weeks ago I thought I would run the calculations to see what the battery capacity shows, and track for degradation along ownership every now and then. I've done a few charges, at 75% SOC, and all three calculations come up between 77 - 78kWh. I thought the battery was supposed to be 82kWh. Should it not be close to 82? What am I missing or not understanding?

I didn't normally check battery capacity of my past M3SR+, but since I just picked up a refreshed M3LR a couple weeks ago I thought I would run the calculations to see what the battery capacity shows, and track for degradation along ownership every now and then. I've done a few charges, at 75% SOC, and all three calculations come up between 77 - 78kWh. I thought the battery was supposed to be 82kWh. Should it not be close to 82? What am I missing or not understanding?
It doesn’t qualify for the credit since if uses an LG pack which is around 78.8kWh.

The method is probably giving you the degradation threshold. A little hard to say…have to see if your full range at 100% is pinned to the new range for these vehicles (which may not match the EPA range right now if it is anything like Model Y 2024).

That could be it, it is 78.8 capacity. I was thinking it was 82. Not sure where to read what it actually is. But, 78.8 makes sense. Again, I don't plan on monitoring much, as I didn't with my SR+, but thought I would track every once in a while.

Hmmm, I just did the calculation on my car for the first time (newly acquired 2020) - and came up with 64kWh. This would seem to be way off for dual motor long range with 12,000 miles.

Thoughts ?
You'd have to show the pictures or at least the calculation. 64kWh would be low, much lower than we normally see. Seems unlikely.

Just be sure not to set instantaneous display! And remember to divide by the SOC %

That's one of the poorest results I have seen. If this is correct, your car would display 266 rated miles at 100% (64.26kWh /77.8kWh * 322 rated miles = 266 rated miles).

12000 miles is very low though - was it stored at 80-90% most of this time?
Stored - have no idea. We’re the second owner (not counting Tesla as the intermediary dealer) and just acquired it three months ago.

Stored - have no idea. We’re the second owner (not counting Tesla as the intermediary dealer) and just acquired it three months ago.
Yeah, if it's not charged up then discharged it is possible the estimate is just off, but probably not by much. You can try but I would tend to believe this result.

You can also swap between % & rated miles and confirm it projects to ~266 at 100%. This vehicle started with 322 miles which was 77.8kWh.

Reactions: Joesmoe3
Panasonic battery is 82, but the LR hasn't gotten that for a while now. I think 78 is about right for the LG battery.