Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery depleted to zero at airport compound (Gatwick)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So we're in sunny Mauritius however due to freak -5 temperatures in the UK, we are arriving back in the UK at 6am knowing we have no charge left (it's going down at 20 miles per day!!).

It would seem I have 2 choices and would really appreciate some advice from people who have been in a similar situation please...

1) Call the AA. They include towing to the nearest charger which would be Tesla Gatwick. How they are going to get the car out and on to a tow truck I've no idea as they are pack in like sardines. Unless they bring portable chargers. They are also stating significant delays on there app.

2) PAY Tesla. Bearing in mind it will be 6am I am more than happy to PAY (anyone know how much), if they actually charge the car where it is to allow me to then drive to Tesla Gatwick and they arrive quicker. Or are they just AA/RAC rebranded and do the same thing?

Some nice positive guidance would be much appreciated :) Thank you.

Problems nobody needs…

Phone the AA a day before you fly. I don’t know about the AA but the newer RAC vans now have auxiliary alternators (or equiv) to be able to charge EVs. I’d call ahead and get the appropriate vehicle allocated to you. Failing that, they can use scates to lift the wheels.

Tesla will use a subcontractor. Won’t necessarily be any quicker. Won’t necessarily have the right equipment, comms could be difficult.

Phantom drain is a solved problem. Just got to leave some charge in the car, turn off sentry and stop all apps from waking up the car (if in doubt change Tesla password).

Let us know how you get on.

If you still have charge - follow the advice in the last para and you can probably drive yourself to the SuC- appreciate it is hard not to be tempted use the Tesla app in such situations. People do leave cars for months without loosing charge.

Oh and turn off preconditioning.

ok, maybe I can solve this. I'm on 60 miles and back 8am Monday. What can I do in the app to save what's left!???

Was on hold for Tesla 'roadside' for 20 minutes and now answer which is surprising at 6:30am UK time.

Not sure AA allows pre-book. The app certainly doesnt and in fact needs you to be at the car to schedule assistance.

You should avoid leaving sentry mode on when you’re leaving the car unplugged for longer periods, as it uses up around 1% every 2-3 hours. Now that you’ve switched it off you’ll hopefully be ok and shouldn’t lose any more charge. For future reference, anything that drains battery in standby, such as sentry mode or cabin overheat protection will automatically switch off at 20% SoC to avoid draining down the battery any further.

Reactions: Leeclanual
You want your car to sleep. When it’s asleep it turns off the car computer which uses c300W.

Turn off / close all phone apps & widgets connected to the car. If you can’t be sure, change your Tesla password which will revoke their access and prevent them waking it up. Then don’t use the Tesla app until you are back at the car (because every time you open the Tesla app it wakes up the car).

You should then be fine. 20 miles is quite a bit. Even at 0 miles might have enough to get to the SuC.

Reactions: pow216 and Jason71
ok, maybe I can solve this. I'm on 60 miles and back 8am Monday. What can I do in the app to save what's left!???

Was on hold for Tesla 'roadside' for 20 minutes and now answer which is surprising at 6:30am UK time.

Not sure AA allows pre-book. The app certainly doesnt and in fact needs you to be at the car to schedule assistance.
Don't open the app any more - you are the problem, every time you check you wake all the car's systems
Sentry disables at 20%

That’s another point. I forgot my key card but apparently I can allow someone in the car remotely and start it and drive it. But only once as I understand it?
I think you can remote start as many times as you want except the car shouldn’t go into park mode. If in park mode you need to remote start again. Also the car need to be moved within 2minutes if remote starting.

apparently I can allow someone in the car remotely and start it and drive it.

There is some setting you have to have set on the dash to allow that ... but, the only time I've done it, given I was able to unlock the car the person who then sat in the car changed the CONFIG setting on the dashboard and THEN I was able to allowed to do "Remote-enable drive"

Seemed like a security flaw to me - either disallow it if that dashboard setting is NOT set, or just allow it at any time .. either way, I was happy to be able to work around not having set that CONFIG beforehand :)

Bjorn has a YouTube (YEARS ago now) of getting a call from a follower who's car was getting very low and then going to the airport, finding his car, getting him to allow remote-drive, and then moving the car to a charger and plugging in ... but that was Norway, they had banks and banks of chargers at the airport :)