Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery drain model y 2022 LR

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

I-drive-my

2022 Model Y LR
Aug 24, 2021
Seattle
Hello everyone,

I got my model y LR on Dec 23 2021 (2022 model year). The car is parked outside not charging (condo life) and it is ~34 in the night and ~45-50 during the day. I do have sentry mode on and see a drain of ~20 miles per day. Is that a normal process of losing miles like that? basically if I don't drive at all I might get to almost 0 miles left in ~15 days. Since it's my first ever tesla, I wanted to clarify:

- could someone confirm if this is normal or shall I ask tesla service to look into the battery?

- I usually go to regular (slow) charger or to tesla supercharger when I reach ~180miles left - is it OK or shall I wait till closer to 0 before charging?

Thank you!

I do have sentry mode on and see a drain of ~20 miles per day

Absolutely 100% normal. Sentry mode will prevent the car from sleeping, and will use around 20 miles a day by itself. The very people who WANT to use sentry mode all the time (those without home charging and a garage) are those who should not use it due to battery drain.

Another thing to sort of head off the "should I talk to tesla about the battery?" question(s). The battery warranty is 70% capacity at 8 years or 120k miles. Thats it. There is no reason to contact tesla about your battery unless you have that much degradation, unless there is a bunch of errors on the screen about the battery.

There is no benefit to running it down to charge it back up, but since you dont have home charging, you are just going to need to do whatever works for you.

Hello everyone,

I got my model y LR on Dec 23 2021 (2022 model year). The car is parked outside not charging (condo life) and it is ~34 in the night and ~45-50 during the day. I do have sentry mode on and see a drain of ~20 miles per day. Is that a normal process of losing miles like that? basically if I don't drive at all I might get to almost 0 miles left in ~15 days. Since it's my first ever tesla, I wanted to clarify:

- could someone confirm if this is normal or shall I ask tesla service to look into the battery?

- I usually go to regular (slow) charger or to tesla supercharger when I reach ~180miles left - is it OK or shall I wait till closer to 0 before charging?

Thank you!
This is normal. If you leave Sentry mode active when the battery state of charge reaches 20% then the Tesla Model Y will turn off Sentry mode. Consider leaving Sentry mode set to be off at your home location as this is a significant drain on the battery; also the Tesla vehicle can't enter sleep mode when Sentry mode is on. * (The Tesla Model Y also has a vehicle alarm.)

* When the Tesla vehicle enters sleep mode the high voltage battery is disconnected from the rest of the Tesla vehicle. This is required for measuring the open cell voltage (OCV) of the battery pack (something the Tesla vehicle does periodically to help calibrate the battery management system algorithms.)

For daily use, charging the Tesla Model Y's high voltage battery is best maintained between 50% and 80% even up to 90%. Unless you need to charge to 100% before take a longer trip try and maintain the battery within this range. You can let the state of charge (SOC) go below 50% if needed, not regularly below 20% or 30% to best maintain the health of the battery.

If you regularly use a Supercharger an Urban Supercharger (charges at up to 72kW) is less stressful on the high voltage battery than one of the V2 (120kW or 150kW) or V3 Supercharger stations (up to 250kW.) There is no down side to using a Supercharger other than the cost of Supercharging. You can use a Supercharger once or twice a week if it meets your charging needs.

Supercharging is fastest, most efficient if the Tesla vehicle's battery is preconditioned (fully warmed). You can help ensure the battery is at the optimal temperature by using the Tesla vehicle's built-in Navigation system to navigate to the closest Supercharger. (If the Supercharger is too close then the battery will not be fully warmed by the time you arrive at the Supercharger.) An optimal Supercharging session would be to charge from ~20% or 30% up to 70%, not more than 80%, as it takes much longer to charge above 80%. **

** To display state of charge (SOC) instead of estimated range tap the estimated range value next to the battery icon on the Tesla screen. The % SOC is a more accurate indication of the state of the battery than the estimated range.

Last edited:
wow thank you so much for this! It is great to see that it's within a normal range to be spent per day! I think I'll leave sentry as it's just a parking lot and even though it's a boring quiet neighborhood - better safe than sorry :)
Appreciate all the guidance!

Reactions: SpicyPaneer