Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery drain overnight with latest V10 update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone!
I have in the last 2weeks or so noticed a jump in battery drain overnight while my car( Model 3, standard dr.) is parked, about 3-4%. WiFi off, Sentry mode Off, Climate Off and I don’t check the App.& car is not plugged in.

Before this new update, I have gone on vacation with the same settings and lost only 4% in 10days.
I don’t have the ability to plug my car in every night, therefore 3-4% drain is significant..

Anyone with the same issue?
Thank you!

I see about 2-3% drain after V10 update. Like you, I have sentry mode, cabin over heat protect off and summon standby off. I always "power off" upon exiting the car as well. I do notice that there's a faint whine somewhere under the frunk even though the car is supposed to be "powered off". The whine appears to last about 2 hours. And no, have not used A/C or heater the last several days either. I'll turn off WiFi after I parked today to see if it makes a difference.

Last edited:
I see about 2-3% drain after V10 update. Like you, I have sentry mode, cabin over heat protect off and summon standby off. I always "power off" upon exiting the car as well. I do notice that there's a faint whine somewhere under the frunk even though the car is supposed to be "powered off". The whine appears to last about 2 hours. And no, have not used A/C or heater the last several days either. I'll turn off WiFi after I parked today to see if it makes a difference.

Check that the software update is not stuck on "Checking for update". Mine was doing that and it was tending to not sleep (I did rebooting etc with no effect). I am not sure how I unstuck it, but you could try disabling data sharing and then re-enabling it (this may have somehow allowed my car to grab the new update, or it may have been a total coincidence, but immediately after I re-enabled it, it started downloading the update). Obviously you need to be in range of a solid WiFi access point when you do this toggle.

For the OP, obviously the first thing to check is to turn off Summon Standby Mode.

Thank you for the additional info. I didn’t know to turn off summon standby ....will try that tonight. I started recording and collecting data on the battery drain issue.
Have brought the issue up with Tesla Service advisor, she is having a technician look through my Car log. TBD

Thank you for the additional info. I didn’t know to turn off summon standby ....will try that tonight. I started recording and collecting data on the battery drain issue.
Have brought the issue up with Tesla Service advisor, she is having a technician look through my Car log. TBD
I have recently been experiencing a similar issue. How was your issue resolved?

Just in case anyone is doing this, take out any usb sticks in the front slots ie like for music. I found that when I left my music usb flash stick in the front port that my phantom drain was worse. I'm unsure if this is just coincidence but thought I'd mention it as I saw the stick lit up when the car was asleep so I know it was doing something.