Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery drain while parked or car in storage

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wifi connection is adequate at the location it's parked. This all just started happening within the last couple weeks though, that's the odd part. It's always been parked in the same location. Prior to this happening, the first few weeks I owned the car (beginning of December) it was sleeping all the time while at home. Nothing else has changed since then, so I don't know what would be causing it besides one of the 40.50.x updates. It coincidentally started behaving this way around the time the update was first pushed.

Did you try a reboot?

Also can you park your car some other place overnight to see if you can replicate whats happening or somehow it is related to being connected to wifi which is somehow keeping the car awake.

Did you try a reboot?

Also can you park your car some other place overnight to see if you can replicate whats happening or somehow it is related to being connected to wifi which is somehow keeping the car awake.
Yes, tried both soft and hard reboots, but it didn't help. Not sure i can leave my car somewhere else, but maybe I'll see if I can try that to rule out the wifi issue.
Stats app is showing that last night I lost 8.1 miles in 15.4 hours (this was without checking either the Tesla or Stats app at all)

Make sure you don't have a bad wifi connection or a pending update. Some people reported poor wifi connection to their home network causes drains on the car. Where I park, I dont have access to a wifi network and I even lose LTE connection sometimes since it is in the P2 level of the parking garage which causes the car not to wake up. Its bad when I try to check anything remotely but its good for the drain I guess.

I changed around the location of wifi in the house and the car didn't connect for a while. It didn't update, but I had no more vampire drain than usual.

Some explain this one to me. No sentry mode. Even in colder weather this seems egregious. For the record there are no apps constantly checking in and the Tesla app was forced closed on my phone

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200116-060946~2.png
    Screenshot_20200116-060946~2.png
    381.6 KB · Views: 148
Adding to the thread with very odd behavior that just started today.

Ambient temp here in Columbus, OH was around 20-30 today so fairly cold but we're in winter and hvae had cold days so I would've observed this by now.

I came out of work and noticed I only had 98 miles left. I wish I had monitored how much I had when I walked into work but I want to say the car lost quite a bit. After work I go to the gym and am parked outside for 2hr 15 mins or so... I lost 5 miles of phantom drain.

Sentry is off, climate off, etc...

Not good.

I am on 2019.40.50.7, charged to 90% Sunday evening. Didn't drive till this morning, so thats about almost 5 days and still had 89% this morning. Parking in a closed parking garage, temps around 50-60F and no wifi and sometimes even no LTE. So maybe not being able to connect to anything, it goes to a deeper sleep?

I'm on 2019.40.50.7 and the car is draining about 20 miles per day of range with no driving.

San Diego, sitting in a garage that is about 60F day and night. I don't check on the car more than once or so daily through the app, although Sentry Mode is on currently (lots of construction workers right now, I want it on even at home).

Just got the car about a month ago, so this is the only software version I have for basis of reference.

@AlanSubie4Life So turning off Sentry should reduce power utilization by how much?

It'll probably bring it down to an average of 25-40W, so 2.5 to 4 rated miles per day. As has been described elsewhere here, there are various configuration changes you can make to really try to reduce it further (turn off data sharing, USB drives, WiFi, maybe mobile access, etc.). You might be able to get it to a mile or two per day but YMMV.

Thought I understood when the traction battery was conditioned but with a resent firmware update that has changed. If you own a dual motor M3 and the temps are cold you could use up to around 14KW when conditioning the cabin So in 10 minutes you could use around 2.3KWH which is around 10 Miles of range. I am using my Scan My Tesla app to try and figure out when the traction battery is heated given the newer firmware updates. The only thing I have learned so far is the new Camp Mode appears to only heat the cabin which makes sense.

The amount of energy that Teslas waste at idle is ridiculous.

I just remember all the people on here who were claiming that this 25W is to help “preserve the battery.” And: “Tesla knows best.” Lol. There is actually no reason for it, except it was not a design requirement for it to be low, AFAIK. Should have used a low power timer system to take care of the 12V charging. Elon probably did not want to pay for the extra couple bucks of hardware, since he wants to get rid of the 12V battery eventually anyway...or some crazy logic like that!

Reactions: 1 person
Same here in Canada Toronto, my M3 RWD LR losing about 30kms per day while parking. Sentry off, summon standby off, multiple resets still the same.

I parked in the my house garage with decent WiFi signal,. I will try unplug anything connected to 12V tonight to see what happen.

The amount of energy that Teslas waste at idle is ridiculous.

ICE waste more.

As other car makers are starting to make large battery EVs it's becoming clear that whatever Tesla's hiccups are, they seem to have a much better handle on energy management than anyone else. The iPace, eTron, and Taycan all have battery packs close in size to the Model S/X but their range is pathetic by comparison.

Reactions: bkp_duke