Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery Drain with FOB Left in Car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What is typical battery drain per day if the fob is left in car over night? I recently used the Amtrak auto train between Lorton, VA and Sanford, FL. When ms was driven into rail car, it had 24 mi range, but only 14 mi remained when exiting the rail car 19 hours later. At the nearest SC, only 4 mi remained. What caused the loss? I suspect Amtrak leaves the keys/fob in each vehicle, causing ms electronics to stay ON including hvac. Is 10 mi loss normal? Other than turning off hvac, what can be done to mitigate range loss

It’s not the fob, it’s the super low state of charge.

My wife left her fob in my car for weeks once without knowing it, so it’s definitely not that.

When I park my car with ~15% or less SoC these days, it loses available capacity over the next hour or two as the pack cools, sometimes 5% or more. The car even warns you about this when you park it.

My wife left her fob in my car for weeks once without knowing it, so it’s definitely not that.

When I park my car with ~15% or less SoC these days, it loses available capacity over the next hour or two as the pack cools, sometimes 5% or more. The car even warns you about this when you park it.
Bingo, agree. AND I expect that it gets really cold on the battery pack at this time of year in Boston. I wonder how much of that energy was also used to keep the battery a bit warmer.

I recall Elon asking for the Raven to be re-evaluated by the EPA when they left the key in during the first test. He claimed that it reduced the range a bit. He was right.
What he actually said was that a “door was left open and the keys were in the car”.

Of the two, the door being left open is what keeps the car “on” and consuming more energy.

As for him being “right”, the EPA denied the whole thing, the car was never re-tested, and Tesla never commented further.

24 mile in range, u should thank God it didnt die on train. It was in the red, u r so lucky. Never leave car parked with 24 miles left. U should have turned everything off. I dont see how they got in the car? My car will lock. Need cell to get in. U r very lucky.

Thank you for recommendation. I’m taking the auto train again this weekend from Sanford, FL to Lorton, VA And will make sure SoC is about 75%. Assuming they leave fob in car, I will turn off hvac. Sentry off too. I can’t think of anything else to reduce phantom drain.